October President's Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Last night we had our BoD meeting and I am pleased to report that we are working well together.

Upcoming events include the latest Raffle (Check out the link on the home page), and the Klingspor Extraganza in Hickory. We will be doing many demonstrations over the two day event, so come on over (see link at the top of the page for details.)

So, having finally gotten our non-profit request filed earlier this month, I have a little time to concentrate on other things. In the ongoing interactions with the BoD, the admins and the moderators, I have a good idea of their thoughts as they are not shy about sharing them. However, I am curious what all of you are thinking. In particular, what do you think of NCWW, Inc.?

As most of you are aware, besides running this site, NCWW runs two raffles a year, has an annual picnic and Meeting in May, organizes shop crawls, participates in Klingspor events, and supports other organizations (by making pots or pens, etc.) I have mentioned a few times about helping injured veterans remodel their houses and/or assist one of the organizations that builds houses for these returning heros.

Are there activities you would like to see us involved in or running? If so what?

Are there features he on this site you would like to see?

What do you like most about NCWW (Website and/or organization)?

What do you like least (Website and/or organization)?

We welcome your comments and hope that this will start a constructive dialog.

Thanks

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I would like to see an app made for NCWW. I browse the internet at work on an iPod touch (no computer is available) and an app would make my experience much better compared to a regular website page. On another forum that I belong to, they just did this and it works great. Just my two cents. Thanks,
Red

Dragon

New User
David
Are there activities you would like to see us involved in or running? If so what?
I think the activities you and the rest of NCWW are currently involved in keep you pretty busy as it is. If there are other suggestions from other members I think the publicity is great.

I've often thought it would be good if the membership was searchable as to location. For instance, if someone was looking for who all may be nearest a given area, that could be searched for. Just a suggestion.

The information and knowledge base available here has to rank amongst the top on the net. Meeting others with similar interests and talking shop builds friendships and mutual trust and respect amongst everyone.

We welcome your comments and hope that this will start a constructive dialog.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I've often thought it would be good if the membership was searchable as to location. For instance, if someone was looking for who all may be nearest a given area, that could be searched for. Just a suggestion.

You can narrow it down to a county level now.

Community
Search Members List
In the "County Block" put in the county and hit 'Search'

I just went and double checked, you can also fill in the City block and hit search and get all in a city.

George

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
In reply:

Glad the BOD is working together well. That says a lot given the widespread interests and backgrounds. Thank you All.

As for the site: I am not into the IT realm, so can only say it works well for me; The changes have been well explained; Technology problems that occur are addressed and solved quite quickly IMHO; and we IT-challenged folks have been given quite good support on solving our problems (for me it was "update your Adobe Flash, you cretin!! :gar-La;. Sometimes us old farts have to be reminded that Dos 3.1 ain't quite gonna hack it anymore).

I like best that it is a civil discourse and woodworking oriented.

What I like least is the restriction of freedom of speech. Political correctness has become an impediment to expression. Yes, restrictions to "PG-13" are understandable, as this is a family oriented site (although I see very few teen-age and under posting), but personally I feel the moderators have become the nanny police. I realize this goes a bit counter to "what I like best", but the "off topics" forum or a "rant forum" could easily be a venue that those that are easily offended can with one click "escape" if they venture there in the first place. I feel we have lost a few members and really lost the input of several other remaining members that have had a lot of positive things to post. Hey, you asked, I answered.

As for member involvement in activities, I would caution against trying to get too big, too soon. Many of us have limited resources, and let us not try to bite off more than we can chew.

However, your idea of "helping injured veterans remodel their houses and/or assist one of the organizations that builds houses for these returning heros." has a lot of merit. Doesn't have to be at that scope, but many of us have the talent to build wheel-chair ramps to code, widen doorways, etc. That is an idea that also could be expanded to members, as well as veterans.

I would again ask caution in this endeavor, though. Before I moved here, I was involved in a several charitable operations (time and labor, not administrative, etc). Problem was that the organizations became leeches that wanted to suck you dry. Be careful what you offer or commit to, because once you are on the call list, especially in today's economy, the phone will never stop ringing. As an open forum, tho, it is a good venue to call for help without anyone feeling committed beyond their resources (as long as it remains that way).

JMTCW

Go

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
[

I think that the board has offered up more than enough opportunities for the membershipto be involved in. I do think that it would be neat if we could figure a way to have large yard or garage sale involving members, with monies earned going to the site, I know that I seem to donate alot of stuff over the year and using it to make monet for NCWW would be neat. But alas it would be like herding cats :mrgreen:.

Everything's good.

The amount of knowledge that is available by just asking, plus the the fact that the members have face to face meetings, instead of everything being just cyber.

The Google ads, but it's a necessary evil.

People come and people go, it's the nature of the beast, some stop coming around out of anger (their loss), life changes (moving, job change, etc.), some get bored, and then there are others like me that just have their life interrupted by family matters (me it's my girls) that are much more important at the immediate time . Some lurk, some become occasional users, and some leave, but most are replaced and that is good.

Remember " Change is the only thing in life that is constant "

Kudo's to the board, past and present, as the have done one fantastic job !

Dragon

New User
David
You can narrow it down to a county level now.

Community
Search Members List
In the "County Block" put in the county and hit 'Search'

I just went and double checked, you can also fill in the City block and hit search and get all in a city.

George

Way cool!:banana: Thanks for that info, I do appreciate it.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Could you share what site that is?

Jim

I would like to see an app made for NCWW. I browse the internet at work on an iPod touch (no computer is available) and an app would make my experience much better compared to a regular website page. On another forum that I belong to, they just did this and it works great. Just my two cents. Thanks,
Red

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
What I like most about NCWW is that this is the nicest, most helpful group of individuals that I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love the fact that if you get stuck on a project and need advice, the answers are almost instantaneous and there is a variety of options to choose from. The friendships that have grown out of this community are priceless. I also really enjoy the lunch bunches and opportunities to visit with other NCWWs in person.

I would also like to extend my deepest thanks to all the individuals who have started, served on the board and moderated this site. I have seen some amazing things accomplished from this community and I look forward to seeing many more.

P.S. I have to say I also enjoy the Found for Sale / Hot Deals sections and the Classifieds. I have bought way more than I should, but with the money I saved on the deals it was worth it!

Amy

dlrion

New User
Dan
Red

In reply:
What I like least is the restriction of freedom of speech. Political correctness has become an impediment to expression. Yes, restrictions to "PG-13" are understandable, as this is a family oriented site (although I see very few teen-age and under posting), but personally I feel the moderators have become the nanny police. I realize this goes a bit counter to "what I like best", but the "off topics" forum or a "rant forum" could easily be a venue that those that are easily offended can with one click "escape" if they venture there in the first place. I feel we have lost a few members and really lost the input of several other remaining members that have had a lot of positive things to post. Hey, you asked, I answered.
Go

Definitely a big + 1 for me :icon_thum :thumbs_up

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS