Occasional Table out of Scrap Wood

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I've been building just using small pieces that I have in the shop already and decided to make a couple of occasional tables using leftovers. The top shown is made from lots of shorts ( and I mean 3 inches by 3/4 inches). The base was some mahogany (or mahogany family) that was just barely long enough to make the legs. Unfortunately, even though it looked good on paper, the legs are too clunky for the table size. Fortunately, I used hide glue and could take the thing back apart to taper the legs. However, after a major uh-oh I usually do better to wait a day before jumping back into it. I'll post the rest later in the process. IMG_9741.JPGIMG_9744.JPGIMG_9750.JPGIMG_9752.JPGIMG_9754.JPGIMG_9768.JPGIMG_9777.JPGIMG_9783.JPGIMG_9788.JPGIMG_9793.JPGIMG_9797.JPGIMG_9800.JPG

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
So, after the not so fun part yesterday, today was spent getting the legs tapered and making a moulding for a second table of the same dimensions. My tapering jig is really part of the Fritz and Franz jig for the slider. It is both accurate and repeatable which is what I need. After yesterday's mistake I checked the leg faces at least 3 times before committing to the saw.
IMG_9802.JPGHere is a top view showing the jig with the stop blocks. The board underneath the leg is fixed to the slide and the outside edge meets the saw blade. This allows me to position the leg exactly where I want the taper to end.
IMG_9803.JPGA view of the cut itself.
IMG_9804.JPGAn the resultant taper
.IMG_9809.JPGthis picture shows the same jig reset to use to cut a shallow angle on a very narrow board that will become a moulding piece. The little strip of wood being held by the Fritz an Franz jig is 5/8 inches wide.
IMG_9811.JPGHere is that cut being completed.
IMG_9816.JPGAnd finally the moulding profile after going through the router.

Now some more assembly and a lot of sanding!

Attachments

• IMG_9810.JPG
    IMG_9810.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_9812.JPG
    IMG_9812.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 169

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS