Oak trunks for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave

New User
Dave
I'm going to be taking down two large willow oaks soon would like to sell the trunks. Both trees are at least 36" in diameter and have straight trunks. One of them has at least 16-18' of length before it branches out. The other has what might be a burl about 6-8' up and the first branch about 10-12' up. Trying to find a way to post some images, but I can email or text them to anyone in the meantime.

If I can't find any buyers, I will want to find someone with a portable mill who can handle trees this large.

Dave

dave

New User
Dave
How much are you asking for the trees?

I didn't have a figure in mind, but am open to fair offers. I assume anyone interested would want to see the trees in person or at least see pictures once we have them down to determine how much lumber can be milled from them.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Will be interesting to see how this works out.

The ones I have taken down personally and had re-sawn and dried was so much effort, it was not viable for a small guy without a mill, handling equipment and drying/storing facilities. Most of the mills buy logs in bulk, if they have to go take down a couple of trees the economics don't work out.

The big wood turners are always on the lookout for these opportunities, but they normally take only a few chuncks cut with a chain saw.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Yep, the preferred Doyle scale (http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/calculators/calc.pl?calculator=log_volume). The 36" diameter is the standing tree (diameter at breast height, dbh) and the rule is:

Instructions: Log Volume Calculator

Diameter:
All the major log rules use the small end diameter, inside the bark, as the basic size measurement. If the log is not perfectly round, then two readings are taken at 90 degrees to each other and averaged.

Last edited:

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I will be surprised if you find someone to pay for the wood. I have had many larger oaks taken down over the years and found out they just aren't worth much. Tree services around here take down dozens a day so the supply is much larger than the demand. Unless it is a really nice walnut tree you probably won't get any takers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS