Oak Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobN

New User
Bob
Here are some pictures of an Oak desk that I'm working on. Building it for a lady up in Oxford. Tried to get her to go with Walnut or Cherry, but she wanted Oak. This would have really been nice made out of Walnut. Anyway it is big, 29" X 70". It's going to have a structure on the back of it about 4 1/2 ft. tall across the entire back full of cubby holes and places to put things.

Bob

Attachments

• P3190036 (572 x 428).jpg
    P3190036 (572 x 428).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 149
  • P3260041 (572 x 428).jpg
    P3260041 (572 x 428).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 162
  • P3260042 (572 x 428).jpg
    P3260042 (572 x 428).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 155

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Bob,

Wow. Your desk is beautiful. (more than a bit jealous of your skills) Where did you get the wood? What kind of a finish will you put on this? Is this your design? Your client's?

Can't wait to see some more photos of the work.

Ray

DavidF

New User
David
That's a very nice piece, are you keeping track of the hours in it? it is always interesting to know.

BobN

New User
Bob
Ray, The wood came from "The Hardwood Store of North Carolina". It will be finished with Waterlox. About 6 coats on the desk itself, with 8 coats on the top or writing surface, or at least that's what I usually do, it could vary a little. As to the design, I went out to her home and measured where she wanted it, took some magazine pictures with me along with some pictures of desks from the net. She would say I like that, I don't like that, etc. That's how we came up with the design.

David, No I have not keep track of the time that I have spent on this. I usually do keep track of the time so I know if I'm making any money, but not this time.

Bob

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Looks very nice - I am curious about how you will tie the bases together. Do you plan on putting a drawer in the knee hole? It does not appear so from what I can see in the pix . Will the top be made up of laminated boards (i.e. butcher-block style)? I am sure it is going to be a very heavy piece of furniture being oak - have you tried to save weight at all? If so, what tricks do you have to recommend?

Your craftsmanship is truly impressive - I hope your client appreciates you!

J

jeff...

Sharp Desk Bob :icon_thum when you going to turn those table top slabs :lol:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Very nice looking piece! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I'm curious about frame joinery used and the side panel construction. Are the side flat panels ply glued into dados or solid and floating? I like the way you broke up the side panels with the center stiles.

I agree it's gonna be a lot of grunt work to move that desk once done. It's a solid looking piece.

What's your finish plan? That's a lotta sanding and finishing surface area.

Chuck

BobN

New User
Bob
Sharp Desk Bob :icon_thum when you going to turn those table top slabs :lol:

As soon as I get this desk out of the shop! You've seen my shop, I ain't got room to turn around with this desk in here, along with a couple of smaller projects that I'm working on.

Bob

J

jeff...

As soon as I get this desk out of the shop! You've seen my shop, I ain't got room to turn around with this desk in here, along with a couple of smaller projects that I'm working on.

Bob

I've been waiting for a long time to see what your going to do with those peices of 18"x18"x4" thick curly sycamore. Please be careful those are some big chunks of wood.

Thanks

BobN

New User
Bob
Looks very nice - I am curious about how you will tie the bases together. Do you plan on putting a drawer in the knee hole? It does not appear so from what I can see in the pix . Will the top be made up of laminated boards (i.e. butcher-block style)? I am sure it is going to be a very heavy piece of furniture being oak - have you tried to save weight at all? If so, what tricks do you have to recommend?

Your craftsmanship is truly impressive - I hope your client appreciates you!

No plans for a drawer in the knee hole, she didn't want one. If it was up to me I would have put a drawer there as I think it looks better that way. The piece between the bases in the pictures is it. It has a 2" X 1 1/2" X 3" oak block glue to the back of it on both ends, I then use a 1/4" X 3 1/2" stove bolt to tie everything together. With the front and back pieces I have 4 stove bolts tieing the bases together. With the size of this I had to make it so that you could take it apart to move and then put it back together.
The top will be made using 5/4" quarter swan red oak planed down to about an inch. The boards are 6 - 7 inches wide and will be edge glued.
Yes. it's going to be heavy!

Bob

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Good looking desk there. I really like how you carried the detail around to the inside underneath.
Now that is a:eusa_clapttention to detail.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
Of course I am kind of partial to red oak too.:-D;-)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Lookin' really, really nice, there, Bob!!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Your attention to all the small details really does shine!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

(Let me know if you need help with the transport/delivery. You know where I am at!)

See ya,

Wayne

bluewing92

New User
Norm
Bob, it looks great so far. :icon_thum Please show pictures when done.
I made a roll top out of Red Oak for the LOML. (See below pic). It took me over six months but in the summer it was to hot and I was lucky to get two or three hrs a day on it.
It was a lot of fun and had some challenges for a newby like me. The cubbyholes were a real jigsaw puzzle to put together. By the way it had to weight at least 250lbs. But luckily I could assemble in place, it consisted of 4 major components plus the drawers.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS