Oak Burl - Before and After

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I found this piece of Oak Burl in an area near my house after the woods had been logged. It has been laying around the shop since December 2007 while I waited to get my nerve up to try and turn it.

I wanted to turn it thinner but I believe it would have broke apart if I turn it much thinner.

DSC07729.JPG

Ready to turn:

DSC07733.JPG

After:

DSC07751.JPG

Bottom:
DSC07754.JPG

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That looks great! I'd love to find a nice burl like that.

Discretion is the better part of artistry. IOW knowing when to stop is as important as getting started.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Dolan, that is great. Did you stabilize the cracks before and/or during the turning?

Also, is that a NOVA DVR I see? I've been trying to convince other people just how good a lathe it is.
...... Discretion is the better part of artistry. IOW knowing when to stop is as important as getting started.
Ain't that the truth.:BangHead:

Tuchwood gave me a nice large walnut crotch and I destroyed it:slap: :eusa_booh :eusa_booh, by not using common sense about thickness.:swoon:

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Dolan, that is great. Did you stabilize the cracks before and/or during the turning?

Also, is that a NOVA DVR I see? I've been trying to convince other people just how good a lathe it is.
Ain't that the truth.:BangHead:

Tuchwood gave me a nice large walnut crotch and I destroyed it:slap: :eusa_booh :eusa_booh, by not using common sense about thickness.:swoon:
Steve,

I put some thin CA glue on the voids to stabilize those areas. None of it came loose and adds to the natural look.

Yes, that is a NOVA DVR XP. Loving it. But let's not tell anyone or everybody will want one. :widea:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Wow That sure is one ugly looking log, But The Oak Burl Bowl is just simply Amazing and is Sure Beautiful~!

I just love how something that one person, may think is trash or bad, but once the right hands have touched it it becomes a masterpiece!

YOU ROCK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS