Nursery Dresser Build **Completed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Re: Nursery Dresser Build

I did manage to finish the dresser a few days after my daughter was born. I have yet to buff out the finish on the case with steel wool, but other than that it is complete and in use!
Hang on a second. You're not old enough to be that good yet! :eusa_clap

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member

Bromley, that is beautiful, the last photo with the crib show truly how much care you put into making a special gift for your family.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Nicely done. I followed your crib build over many months and it was clear during that you were doing some very complicated shaping and joinery far beyond your age and experience.

Where'd you get your woodworking experience at age 30?

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member

Congratulations on your daughter.

And wow - first class build(s) there. Very impressive.

Plunkett

Lee
Senior User

Looks great. I like the beaded face frame. Well done! What did you use for stain and topcoat?

tdukes

New User
Eddie

Thank you all again! Yes I will definitely get it finished and hope it stays in the family for a long time to come. It's definitely built to last.

This morning at 5:30 we welcomed Isabelle Louise into the world! Her and Mom are both doing great. I appreciate all the kind words!

Great job to you and the wife!!

mbromley

New User
Bromley

Thank you all very much for the kind words!

Nicely done. I followed your crib build over many months and it was clear during that you were doing some very complicated shaping and joinery far beyond your age and experience.

Where'd you get your woodworking experience at age 30?

I think there are a lot of factors that play into that. My grandfather was a carpenter and although I wasn't able to learn much from him it may just be that it is in my blood to be a craftsman as well. I also grew up watching This Old House on the weekends and there was always the latest Fine Woodworking magazine on the coffee table. My father is a general contractor and many summers I worked in the construction industry. Now I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and have always been very attentive to detail and a perfectionist at times to a fault. I've also been metal working for a little over 10 years now running CNC mills, lathes, and welding. I gained a lot of understanding of building and making in general through metal working that has translated quite well to wood working. I've really enjoyed the finer side of wood working and unlike many of the wood workers that I meet at my age I would prefer to use traditional joinery methods. I like to continue to challenge myself and learn new things with each build.

Looks great. I like the beaded face frame. Well done! What did you use for stain and topcoat?

The stain is a water based tintable stain from Minwax. Honestly it was not much fun to work with, but I do like the result. It was very difficult to get a consistent finish as it dried very quickly like a paint if not wiped off almost immediately. The topcoat is Shellac that I sprayed with my Earlex HV5500 system that I then buffed out with 0000 steel wool and paste wax.

VTHokie

New User
John

Looks fantastic Bromley! Congratulations on the birth of your daughter - its truly the most wonderful life changing event!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

Excellent craftsmanship, and a beautiful arrangement for the new arrival. Congratulations!

Plunkett

Lee
Senior User

The stain is a water based tintable stain from Minwax. Honestly it was not much fun to work with, but I do like the result. It was very difficult to get a consistent finish as it dried very quickly like a paint if not wiped off almost immediately. The topcoat is Shellac that I sprayed with my Earlex HV5500 system that I then buffed out with 0000 steel wool and paste wax.

Thanks for the info. My wife wants a similar look for a desk I'm going to build, at least try to. We were looking at General Finishes stains with a whitewash. I'll have her take a look at this as well.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Excellent work and will be a focal point of the room for many years.

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Absolutely beautiful work. Classic, timeless design too. :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS