Numbering code on turnings

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
DC05BBF8-8CB7-43F1-86D1-C82FF09D210E.jpeg

I developed this system in my weave designs to code weaves. That system is a secret and I will never tell, but I can examine a piece of cloth and tell if it was woven in our plant by my secret code woven into the cloth.

I adapted it to show the size of crochet needles. Here a bead equals three and a ring eguals one. So, the 10mm size has 3 beads and 1 ring.
The 5mm size has 1 bead and 2 rings.

When we were doing the light sabres I would ask the kids their age and we would make a small cove for 5 and a line for 1.

Lots of things can be marked this way.

What have you done to mark a date or size besides just stamping or wood burning the number?
E16CFE92-BE69-4507-BD88-A284286DE8C2.jpeg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've not gotten that creative. Or maybe its just that I haven't done enough repetitive things to develop a pattern such as that. The mind wanders too much to be that consistent.

Very interesting though.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's pretty cool. Thanks for posting

What have you done to mark a date or size besides just stamping or wood burning the number?

I made these chisels for inlaying some bell flowers. Each chisel in a set (same container) has the same arc measure. The top set is 60 degrees and the bottom is 30 degrees.

Within each set the chisels are paired. One is incannel to cut the cavity and one is outcannel to cut the shape. Each pair is marked with matching rings turned into the handle. In the case I inlayed a sample showing the shape each pair makes (i.e., the little walnut "football" between each pair).

IMG_2001.jpg

These were made for creating the bell flowers on the legs of a Federal-style table. The flowers are mathematically similar, the points on each forming an equilateral triangle. they diminish in size following a prescribed progression.

IMG_2682.jpg

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Awesome idea, Mike. Creativity is the engine of the intellect. If you like Classical Music, J.S. Bach wrote a large part of his music based on Fibonacci's Golden Mean a naturally occurring number pattern that happens in nature (6.18).
To this day, I still use several logical/mathematical methods as a start point to the creative process. In doing so you always have a basis of order to anything you create.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS