Now your chance to beat up on me

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Now that it has been announced that I will be the next webmaster, I thought I should attempt to try correct or at soothe any personnel issues with me.

I know that partially becuase of some misguided actions and some obscure wording on my part, that some of you have reservations about me taking this role.

So if you have questions, please ask them here or send them by PM if you prefer. I will answer them to the best of my ability. I can't promise that you will like my answers, but at least you will get an honest answer.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
How do they get the toothpaste in the tub?

Why does toast land butter side up?

If a train leaves Chicago going 23 mph and a swan dives for a fish in Lake Erie, does Mary have a hat on?

But seriously.....

If you care to, and there is interest, I'd like to suggest a monthyish conf call to talk tech stuff. Cover any outstanding/ongoing issues and direction.

I've felt for quite a while that we spend a disproportionate amount of time reacting as opposed to working towards something.

Thanks,
Jim

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
How do they get the toothpaste in the tub? With a tooth pick

Why does toast land butter side up? Gravity

If a train leaves Chicago going 23 mph and a swan dives for a fish in Lake Erie, does Mary have a hat on? Yes, but it is backwards

But seriously..... Not on my watch

If you care to, and there is interest, I'd like to suggest a monthyish conf call to talk tech stuff. Cover any outstanding/ongoing issues and direction.

I've felt for quite a while that we spend a disproportionate amount of time reacting as opposed to working towards something.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, I certainly agree with the sentiment "we spend a disproportionate amount of time reacting as opposed to working towards something."

But when you say tech stuff, I am not sure where you making the distinction. One distinction would mean toolman, bas, you and me. Another distinction would mean all staff members.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Hehe, I'll have to come up with tougher questions.

Personally, I'd open it up to anyone, as we have mod's and Board members who might like to be involved in tech talks.

Ideally (IMHO) it'd be focused on the core folks you mentioned.

Jim

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Hehe, I'll have to come up with tougher questions.

Personally, I'd open it up to anyone, as we have mod's and Board members who might like to be involved in tech talks.

Ideally (IMHO) it'd be focused on the core folks you mentioned.

Jim
actually, I'm still confused as to what you mean by tech stuff:embaresse if we are talking about how to write a plug in, I don't know why moderators or bod would be interested. If you mean, things like feature requirements and such, I don't think a phone conference is the way to go.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I guess my question would be is there a reason to hide the techy stuff from the moderators? If not I'd say put it in it's own forum so they can read or ignore as they prefer. As a pseudo techy I find it interesting to skim these discussions for my own education into how the site works. You might also stumble upon a topic that a moderator has some expertise or interest in and get some extra help...

Travis

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I guess my question would be is there a reason to hide the techy stuff from the moderators? If not I'd say put it in it's own forum so they can read or ignore as they prefer. As a pseudo techy I find it interesting to skim these discussions for my own education into how the site works. You might also stumble upon a topic that a moderator has some expertise or interest in and get some extra help...

Travis
Travis, there already techie forums that are open to all staff, or at least they should be. Jim was talking about a conference call about techie stuff. Here it would be just a question of how many people could talk at once:gar-La; and still make any progress.:swoon:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Sounds like a good idea. Look at what needs to happen in the next month/ three months/ six months in terms of upgrades, fixes, activities etc. The upgrade to VB v4 would be a good example. Other recurring activities are to set up the galleries for the calendar, drawings, picnic. I think Jim means that rather than reacting ("we need to get the page for XXX up tonight!") we plan it ahead of time. Also makes it easier to divide up the work.

Much of this is not purely technical of course, it just requires technicity (new word!) to implement.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Can I get this back on topic?

I know that there are several moderator's who are upset with me. There have been questions raised by some members of the BOD as to my motivations, my methods, am I team player etc. On Saturday there was a Board of directors meeting and there was time to clear the air. Now as I am about to o become the webmaster on 7/1, I thought I should try to do the same here. But I can't answer a question or apologize for a mistake on part, if I don't know what the questions are or what you think I did that has angered you so.

I am not you boss, I don't control your paycheck so I don't understand why you you guys won't confront me with your complaints, suspicions, etc. I know some of you have them why not air them?

toolman

Administrator
Chad
SteveColes:
I am not you boss, I don't control your paycheck so I don't understand why you you guys won't confront me with your complaints, suspicions, etc. I know some of you have them why not air them?
OK I will stick my neck out. :cool: Well us techies was told we had to ask before making changes to the site and that is why the field "Site Change Review:" was added to the "Staff To Do List".

Minor Feature Change
Major Feature Change
New Feature
Remove Feature
Other
Reviewed - Approved
Reviewed - Rejected
Reviewed - Deferred
When you was made a administrator the first than you did was upgrade the site with out asking and getting the ok. It made me feel as if you was trying to take control of the site.:confused_

Please do not take me wrong, the site needed to be upgraded.

On a anther thread "Some food for thought" you ask for input. First I was told "NOT TO MODERATE THREADS OR POST, I ALSO WAS TOLD NOT TO REPORT A THREAD OR POST BUT PM THE WEBMASTER AND HE WOULD LOOK AND SEE IF THE POST OR THREAD NEEDED MODERATING OR NOT! :wmad:

Well I will stop here!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Can I get this back on topic?
Alright, since you insist, let me take a shot at this. :qright5:

Personnally, I think it's great you're the new web master. You certainly know how to get things done. My only concern would be what happens if you decide you're ready to retire from the site again. Will there be a void of technical expertise because you've been running it solo? Of course, this applies if Jim were to leave as well, but his style is definitely more collaborative than yours. He's done some very detailed writeups on how certain things are configured. Your posts about technical items tend to be sketchy, cryptic or both. I don't know whether this is due to lack of time, lack of caring or difficulty writing technical posts in general.

As for your character flaws...so many to choose from! :gar-La; Where to begin...

You tend to notify people after the fact, e.g. wiping out whatever was on the test site with a copy of the production system. Whether this was a good thing or not, if the maintenance of the web site is to be more than a one-man show there needs to be some communication and planning up front. I know you were used to doing things by yourself, and habits are hard to break. But because of that, it also ensured you _had_ to do things by yourself. You also don't like it when other people are working on something that interferes with what you're doing. In the past you've created the impression that your time and your tasks are more important. It makes it harder for others to contribute.

Are you a team player? I don't know. You were able to turn over control over the site and the corporation :)eusa_clap letting go is hard), but I've never seen you work together with peers. I'm quite confident that you and the rest of the newly elected BoD can work all this out, but it there's open brawling, _please_, someone take pictures!

The title of your post was pretty blunt, "please tell me what a terrible person I am". As you can tell from the lack of responses, most people have difficulty with that. Just because you're a cold, mean-spirited, insensitive, sorry-excuse-for-human-being steamrolling curmudgeon doesn't mean the rest of us are! I'll give you full marks for consistency, the confrontational manner in which you ask for feedback certainly matches your abrupt style. You might have better luck if you ask for one or two things people would like you to improve upon.

Am I upset with you? If I was, you'd know. :eusa_naug The way I see it, if Gail can put up with you, you can't be all bad :) And I do know you're completely sincere when you ask for feedback, so that's why I wrote this. If someone is mad at you, then let's get it out in the open.

BTW, in your original post, you wrote about "personnel" issues. I found that curious because you also wrote you're not someone's boss, don't control a paycheck. Did you mean "personal" issues? Freudian slip? :rolf:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I've been working with an almost all volunteer army for Habitat for Humanity since the 90s. Our website / forum here, has some similarities with Habitat. People show up because they want to. Interesting point about a confrontational approach, particularly in a volunteer world... people tend to vote with their feet. In other words, make people uncomfortable and they will walk away.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Interesting point about a confrontational approach, particularly in a volunteer world... people tend to vote with their feet. In other words, make people uncomfortable and they will walk away.

Yeah, that's been my experience in volunteer situations as well.... Easier to do that than fight when the stakes are low....

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Well.... since you asked :)

I think Bas and Chad voiced similar feelings I have towards your modus operandi. Which worked wonderfully to bring this site to life.

Assuming you/we want to share the work load and "hire our replacements", I think its vital to take steps to communicate and share.

That was why earlier (you could say passively aggressively), I responded with the idea of the Tech Conf call.

I'd also ask we keep most discussion related to the site in public view. Ala this or the Programmers Forum.

Private Message communication keeps rather important information hidden from everyone.

Lastly, a few publicly reported issues were resolved via PM or other methods of behind the scenes communication (maybe smoke signals and carrier pigeons?). In some cases, I'd been working on a reported issue that was fixed without my knowledge.

I don't mind it got fixed, but I burned an hour working an issue. Thats a hide chapper :)

Hope this helpful criticism.

Thanks,
Jim

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Here is one sent to me privately.

You have a very strong personality. That is not a fault. It is just who you are. What is a fault is you shoot from the hip. You can at times act strongly first and apologize later. Because you are our founding father people tend to take notice when you speak/act. Unfortunately when you act first and apologize later it is the first thing that sticks in folks minds.
Ray, you make a general comment about confrontational styles. But since you posted it in this thread I'll assume you are saying that I am confrontational??

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Here is one sent to me privately.

Ray, you make a general comment about confrontational styles. But since you posted it in this thread I'll assume you are saying that I am confrontational??

The word "confrontational" was brought up by another poster and I commented on it. I think the above quoted post is confrontational. I also think this whole thread is a confrontation.

I find the tone and direction of this thread discomforting and suggest that it come to a close.

b4man

New User
Barbara
What is going on here?

Steve, if you are wanting to clear up some issues could we start with why this topic has been raised?
It's obvious there are some major issues going on with some BoD's and Admin's.

Why did Travis Porter quit?

Could you either make this situation transparent or move it to the privacy of another forum?

With all due respect,

Barbara

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
What is going on here?

Steve, if you are wanting to clear up some issues could we start with why this topic has been raised?
It's obvious there are some major issues going on with some BoD's and Admin's.

Why did Travis Porter quit?

Could you either make this situation transparent or move it to the privacy of another forum?

With all due respect,

Barbara

Ok, in reverse order, I really don't know anything about Travis Porter's situation.
As far as issues with the BOD, there were. But they were dealt with a few days before I started this thread.

But I would be naive to believe that some of the same issues aren't on the minds of the other staff. So I tried to contact a few people via PM and see if I could deal with them, but that didn't work. So I am doing nothing but what I said I was, trying to get people who have an issue with me to say it to me either publicly or privately. Some have and now I am better able to deal with it and even perhaps, heal a wound or two.

For instance, the most surprising thing to me was that the admins all have a problem about the way I have done some things. I didn't know that the feelings were that strong. Now I can directly address that issue .

Because I couldn't get any real responses via PM, I needed to use a forum that was private to the primary audience of Mods and Admins. If I hadn't asked, some of this would fester and come out at the least useful times. I thought we could get 90% of it done.

In the next day or so I will close this off, and most of us will just move on to getting the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS