Now why didn't I think of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
From the instructions for the application of the sandpaper to the drum, it appears you might have to toss the drum when the sandpaper becomes too dull to use. Maybe soaking it with mineral spirits might make the paper removable.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm sure there are alternative methods to mounting the sandpaper. Somewhere I have plans to a drum sander that used spiral wrapped strips that could be attached in a removable fashion. It's a good start, though.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
That mau well work with my TotalShop. I have a plywood setup for panel flattening that may well fit the bill.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The first reference I find to using lathe as drum sander was in FWW's "On Proven Shop Tips," page 112. Originally published in 1985. Have seen several versions over the years. Either ShopNotes, or Woodsmith, along with American Woodworker have published plans over the years. For paper attachment, use spiral wrap, with ends secured with fiber reinforced tape. After you cut first piece that FITS, remove it from drum and cut a template to match. No guess work on next piece, just lay template on it and cut to size. None of these ideas are mine, only remembered from other sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS