Nova Orion Lathe

HLW

New User
Harold
Has anyone seen or read about the new Nova Orion Lathe. Go to Acme Tools to see and read about it. I think I might put this one on my bucket list. It should be available within the next 30 to 60 days. What do you think?

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I had not heard of it yet. I have the Nova Galaxi. It looks like the Orion is priced similarly to the Galaxi, but with a few changes. It has a larger swing (18" vs 16" on the Galaxi), and the bed configuration is different. They put it on a stubbier frame (22.75" between centers vs 45" on the Galaxi) but also include a bed extension to get it to 45". I'm actually really surprised they include the bed extension, instead of it being an accessory that can be bought later. My guess is that they designed this to compete with the Robust Sweet 16 lathe. Both headstocks rotate 360 degrees, but the galaxi headstock can be slid anywhere on the lathe bed, while the Orion cannot.

I love my Galaxi. I got it in 2018 at the Klingspor Extravaganza where they had it as a show special. The DVR motor is excellent and is packed with great features. The Orion appears to have the same controller & interface. Given my experience with my lathe, I'd feel safe in recommending the Orion. Just has slightly different specs.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Top speed of 5000 rpm is wild! I have no idea what you would turn or polish at 5000 rpm.

HLW

New User
Harold
I had not heard of it yet. I have the Nova Galaxi. It looks like the Orion is priced similarly to the Galaxi, but with a few changes. It has a larger swing (18" vs 16" on the Galaxi), and the bed configuration is different. They put it on a stubbier frame (22.75" between centers vs 45" on the Galaxi) but also include a bed extension to get it to 45". I'm actually really surprised they include the bed extension, instead of it being an accessory that can be bought later. My guess is that they designed this to compete with the Robust Sweet 16 lathe. Both headstocks rotate 360 degrees, but the galaxi headstock can be slid anywhere on the lathe bed, while the Orion cannot.

I love my Galaxi. I got it in 2018 at the Klingspor Extravaganza where they had it as a show special. The DVR motor is excellent and is packed with great features. The Orion appears to have the same controller & interface. Given my experience with my lathe, I'd feel safe in recommending the Orion. Just has slightly different specs.
I too owned the Galaxi (and loved everything about it) but sold it thinking I didn't need a lathe with a long bed since I only turned bowls. Now I'm thinking the Orion will certainly fill my needs since it will let me extend the bed length, when needed. I like the 18" swing too.

Bgossett635

New User
Brian
I just found out that my Orion that was ordered in Jan is being delivered on Thursday! It is actually about 6 weeks ahead of schedule. No complaints, here! I may be too old to be this excited.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Wow Bob's big Boy Icon .......... been a while since I have seen that.

I just found out that my Orion that was ordered in Jan is being delivered on Thursday! It is actually about 6 weeks ahead of schedule. No complaints, here! I may be too old to be this excited.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS