NOVA DVR XP Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary K

New User
Gary
I have the older model DVR 3000. Never had any problems, great lathe. I don't ever want to be without variable speed again.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Me:banana::banana::banana:Yes it is great.

XP?

Steve,

Have you turned many bowls on it? And is it as smooth as advertised?

I have been researching (or is that drooling over) this lathe for awhile to upgrade from my Delta Midi. If I upgrade I probably will keep the Delta but not sure yet.

Everything I have read is very positive. The only minor thing is that a little ballast might be in order on the stand. I don't think that would be a problem with me. The stand that I have the Delta on is rather heavy and if I was to get a NOVA I plan to put the Delta back on its original stand and put the NOVA on the stand/cabinet I made. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showp...hp?photo=15999

And I don't know that I will be turning any 29" bowl anytime soon. :nah:

One negative I for see if I was to get a NOVA is the headstock shaft accepts 1 1/4" x 8" TPI tools where the Delta uses 1" x 8". So none of my current tools would fit. I don't know if an adapter is available or not.

Thanks for any comments.

jglord

New User
John
You are correct, the Nova DVR does take 1 1/4" x 8 and does come with a face plate. Most chucks are mounted with an adaptor and adapting a chuck would require the purchase of an adaptor - usually less than $40. The other thing to keep in mind is the Nova is reversible. It is important to have set screws to prevent chucks from spinning off when reversing the lathe.

I'm not sure what other tools you are referring to. Let us know and maybe someone here can offer advice.

GeorgeM

New User
George
I have been using a DVR 3000 since they were released in the US. They had some software problems when first released but that was corrected. I have turned 100 pound blanks with no problems.

IMG_0161.jpg

I consider it one of the best lathes for the price available. Very smooth and plenty of power.

Have a Blessed day.

George

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Dolan, this is only my second lathe, but I know that I have not had a moments regret. As everyone has said it is very smooth. The continuous speed change is a wonder, and the ability to save 5 speeds is fantastic. If you get the outboard turning attachment, then your ability to turn large bowls and Platters is superb.

So far, strange for me, I have have not had the urge to by any other lathe. Of all the tools in shop, this is the only one I can recommend without reservation.

As far as thread size is concerned,I would not think that is a big issue. I have never seen a chuck that doesn't use an adapter. A face plate comes with it.

The only issue I would see like that is the MT. the DVR uses MT 2 on both the headstock and tailstock I don't know what the Delta has.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Dolan, this is only my second lathe, but I know that I have not had a moments regret. As everyone has said it is very smooth. The continuous speed change is a wonder, and the ability to save 5 speeds is fantastic. If you get the outboard turning attachment, then your ability to turn large bowls and Platters is superb.

So far, strange for me, I have have not had the urge to by any other lathe. Of all the tools in shop, this is the only one I can recommend without reservation.

As far as thread size is concerned,I would not think that is a big issue. I have never seen a chuck that doesn't use an adapter. A face plate comes with it.

The only issue I would see like that is the MT. the DVR uses MT 2 on both the headstock and tailstock I don't know what the Delta has.

Steve,

That confirms what I have been reading from several sources about the nice features of the lathe.

The tools that I have that are MT are all MT 2 so that is not a problem I would just need an adapter for the ones that screw onto the spindle.

Now if I can just get all the "stars" to line up just right i might upgrade one of these days.

Thanks for the responses.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I have found multiple sources for the 1 1/4" x 8 TPI to 1" x 8 TPI adapters so that will not be a problem. Now if I just had multiple sources for the $$. :gar-Cr:gar-Cr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors