Nova chucks

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I think I'm ready to start turning... Probably going to get Stuart Kent to give me a few lessons if he's willing.

I need a chuck for my lathe. I was thinking a Supernova 2 but was wondering if I should step up to the Titan III. I'm not sure I'd ever turn anything large enough to justify a bigger chuck but not sure.

Would I be better off with the SN2 first?

Any ideas?

Hmerkle

Hank
Corporate Member
As everything, your tools are determined by "What are you going to do...
If you are going to take lessons anyway, can you wait until you see what you enjoy turning at Stuart's?

Raymond

Raymond
Corporate Member
I have two different chucks - 2 SuperNova2s and 1 Oneway Talon. I have two different sets of jaws for the Talon and three combination jaws sets for the SN2. When you buy a chuck, you really need to understand what you are going to be making before you start buying the chuck and the different sets of jaws for that particular chuck.

Like Hank says, take you lessons first then decide what you want to make before spending you money.

awldune

Sam
User
How big is your lathe? I have a G3 (smaller than Supernova) and have never felt I needed a bigger chuck turning up to 16''.

When considering chucks, be aware that accessory jaws are surprisingly expensive.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
IMO the SN2 should be plenty. I have 3 Nova chucks, 1 SuperNova2, and 2 G3's. Never turned anything that I thought I would need a chuck as big as the Titan. SN2 is a sturdy chuck and can handle a lot with the appropriate jaws.

The G3's I bought for my midi lathe (12" swing) when I started out. I don't think I could turn anything on that midi that a G3 couldn't handle. I got the SN2 bundled with my lathe (Nova Galaxi at the Klingspor Extravaganza Show Special few years ago), which has a 16" swing. The SN2 has been fantastic.

Even if you get the Titan later, it is SUPER nice to have more than one chuck. One of my G3's stays on my midi lathe with pen jaws for a dedicated pen drilling. The other G3 has an adapter for my Galaxi and cole jaws for finishing the bottom of bowls (had to buy the adapter since that version of the G3 doesn't have a interchangable insert). The SN2 has the 50MM jaws on 90% of the time.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have several chucks. I suggest if you only have one, get the big one. It will do big and small items.

KenOfCary

Board of Directors, Secretary
Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like the Nova Chucks - unlike others if you later decide you want a larger chuck, all of the jaws that you already have will work in all of the Nova Chucks. With other brands a new chuck means new jaws as well.

JonB

Jon
User
I have an SN2 and a G3, I keep 100mm jaws on the SN2 and it'll handle anything you turn on your Nova lathe. Be aware that the SN2 & G3 jaws are interchangeable but not on the Titan, those jaws are different.

A consideration to think about is the size of stuff you want to turn. The Nova DVR has a 16" swing and has outboard capability for larger stuff but the mass weight of the machine isn't really enough to go much larger. As it is, a 15" - 16" bowl blank that is even a little off balance will have that lathe walking across the room. I've turned a lot of bowls, most 10" - 12" which seems to be a good user size. Not a lot of people have a use for bowls larger than that, I've heard lots of turners say they don't sell well either.

awldune

Sam
User
As it is, a 15" - 16" bowl blank that is even a little off balance will have that lathe walking across the room. I've turned a lot of bowls, most 10" - 12" which seems to be a good user size. Not a lot of people have a use for bowls larger than that, I've heard lots of turners say they don't sell well either.
There are some good points here. Especially with casters, your lathe will want to walk with big blanks. I have my 1624 bolted to the floor.

Big bowls are challenging and fun to make, but they are not very practical and can be difficult to display as art objects (most mantels and shelves are only 10-12'' deep)

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I was thinking like Fred... One large chuck would do it all. I don't see me turning large bowls and such but you never know. There are a few things I have in mind to turn but most are simple and straightforward.

Raymond

Raymond
Corporate Member
Chris, you can build a wooden box that will straddle the legs of that Nova DVR and put bags of play sand in the box - that will help add mass to the bottom to help stop the walking. Unfortunately, those locking casters may not be enough to prevent walking even with the added box of sand.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
User
I was thinking like Fred... One large chuck would do it all. I don't see me turning large bowls and such but you never know. There are a few things I have in mind to turn but most are simple and straightforward.
True, one chuck will do. However, changing jaws is just enough of a PITA that you will appreciate more than one chuck. Here is what mine look like this week. Unfortunately, I ended up with three different wrenches. The jaws fit any of these chucks.
B9C9DA8D-D2E4-4F91-B267-6FAFBFFE4BA9.jpeg

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Sounds like I need to plan on multiple chucks. Given that it seems like I will be better off picking up a SN2 to start.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Chris, you can build a wooden box that will straddle the legs of that Nova DVR and put bags of play sand in the box - that will help add mass to the bottom to help stop the walking. Unfortunately, those locking casters may not be enough to prevent walking even with the added box of sand.
If it comes to it I will bolt it to the floor.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
User
View attachment 200269
BTW, the bottom jaws are sold as pen jaws. I have never turned a pen, but these jaws can hold square stock up to nearly 1-7/16”. I use these jaws often for knobs, lever extension handles, etc.

Dee2

Gene
Corporate Member
The SN2 is what I use most. The Talon 2nd. The Titan is 'like a rock' and I only use it for big wonky stuff. The G3's are the smalls up to 10"-12". Lot of overlap in capacity and the Nova jaws are interchangeable.

if you take a class with Stuart, he will introduce you to the Easy Wood chucks. I suggest you put off buying a chuck till you have the class. And Stuart carries Nova and Easy Wood chucks so you can leave with what you decide on.

And I have used a Vicmarc. Heavy. Really heavy. And so is the Titan.

Hmerkle

Hank
Corporate Member
if you take a class with Stuart, he will introduce you to the Easy Wood chucks. I suggest you put off buying a chuck till you have the class. And Stuart carries Nova and Easy Wood chucks so you can leave with what you decide on.
You ALWAYS know how smart someone is - right after they agree with what you said!:D
In all seriousness, while it is difficult, it is best if you can try something out and get advice from someone who had a wide range of experience. It may be that you end up with what you originally choose, but then there is some "double-validation"!

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS