Nova 1624. Opinion

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
We replaced the Nova Lathes on the trailer due to reliability problems. The one in the ad is a much more high-end model than what we had on the trailer though, so I'm not sure you can compare them. And the ones on the trailer were used for 8 hours at a time so the duty cycle was pretty high.

We ended up with Rikon Lathes now on the trailer after trying a couple other brands including the Nova's. I can recommend the Rikon's highly and they are carried by our favorite retail supplier, Kilingspor's Woodworking Shop.

Mauser44

New User
John
We replaced the Nova Lathes on the trailer due to reliability problems. The one in the ad is a much more high-end model than what we had on the trailer though, so I'm not sure you can compare them. And the ones on the trailer were used for 8 hours at a time so the duty cycle was pretty high.

We ended up with Rikon Lathes now on the trailer after trying a couple other brands including the Nova's. I can recommend the Rikon's highly and they are carried by our favorite retail supplier, Kilingspor's Woodworking Shop.
Ken.
Do we have a discount code with kilingspore for the group? Just curious before I look on the web for general info. Thanks

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If You're discount qualified and opt-in to Klingspor's Discount Program, then you can save about 10% on supplies from their stores and catalog.

Unfortunately that does not include wood or most of the large machinery that they sell. The best time to get a discount on machinery with them is during the Extravaganza, which was virtual this year. Hoping it will be back in the Hickory Convention Center next October. You should probably check if they have any Black Friday specials going on though. I can't speak for them on specials.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
The Nova 16-24 is a very good lathe with a good reputation. I've known several people that have one and they like it.

Ken's opinion is correct - the Nova midi's are not as robust as their larger lathes, though I'd argue there are much worse Midi's out there than Nova's Comet. I have the Nova Galaxi, and it is absolutely fantastic. Side note - I bought it at the Klingspor Extravaganza a few years ago when it was a show special. It was/is my largest tool purchase and I have no regrets whatsoever.

With the bed extension, that's a decent price. They're about 1200 new without the extension, plus taxes & shipping. It might be more lathe than you need, but we turners always recommend buying as big as you can. You can always turn small things on a big lathe, but you can't turn big things on a small lathe!

Mauser44

New User
John
The Nova 16-24 is a very good lathe with a good reputation. I've known several people that have one and they like it.

Ken's opinion is correct - the Nova midi's are not as robust as their larger lathes, though I'd argue there are much worse Midi's out there than Nova's Comet. I have the Nova Galaxi, and it is absolutely fantastic. Side note - I bought it at the Klingspor Extravaganza a few years ago when it was a show special. It was/is my largest tool purchase and I have no regrets whatsoever.

With the bed extension, that's a decent price. They're about 1200 new without the extension, plus taxes & shipping. It might be more lathe than you need, but we turners always recommend buying as big as you can. You can always turn small things on a big lathe, but you can't turn big things on a small lathe!
Thank you James.
My only concern is room in my _already crammed _ half of a garage.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I suppose if you did get it, you could always detach the bed extension and store it if/when you needed it. I rarely need the 42" bed my lathe has. I also have a storage cabinet under my lathe, since all floor space is valuable.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
John,
Do you live down here in South Carolina?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am in monroe, nc.. close to the sc border
Ah!, so a trip to Simpsonville isn't out of the question, cool... I would also ask the seller what he or she bought (why they are selling the lathe) - I am sure you already thought of that...

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
For the record, the Nova 1624 II is not really a midi lathe. It is pretty much a full size machine. If you are looking for a midi lathe there are a lot of other options better than NOVA (which is the COMET model in this category). Rikon (I have the 70-220vsr), Laguna, and WEN are all ones I recommend over NOVA in the midi category.

I have recently acquired a NOVA Galaxi DVR 1644 which is the step above what you are looking at. It is pretty good quality thus far, just getting used to a full size lathe compared to the midi it taking some adjustment. Your choice of the 1624 II with bed extension is not a bad choice based on my experience with the galaxi thus far. Mostly just wanted to clarify it isn't actually a midi size lathe.

Mauser44

New User
John
For the record, the Nova 1624 II is not really a midi lathe. It is pretty much a full size machine. If you are looking for a midi lathe there are a lot of other options better than NOVA (which is the COMET model in this category). Rikon (I have the 70-220vsr), Laguna, and WEN are all ones I recommend over NOVA in the midi category.

I have recently acquired a NOVA Galaxi DVR 1644 which is the step above what you are looking at. It is pretty good quality thus far, just getting used to a full size lathe compared to the midi it taking some adjustment. Your choice of the 1624 II with bed extension is not a bad choice based on my experience with the galaxi thus far. Mostly just wanted to clarify it isn't actually a midi size lathe.
Thank you. Yes I am aware this is a full size with an extension.
I was initially looking for a midi for price and space reasons... but for this price, I will make room for a full size lathe.
Going to see it tomorrow. Fingers crossed for not surprises.

awldune

Sam
User
I have a 1624 and have not had any issues with it. Its main limitation is having a stepped pulley drive. You need to stop the lathe and monkey with the belt to change speeds. The other main limitation is the short-ish bed, but with the extension you should be fine.

If you will be turning large bowls, you will find it worth your while to anchor the feet to the floor. The base is relatively light and the lathe likes to walk if you have a big unbalanced blank on there.

This lathe has a 1.25'' x 8 tpi spindle, which is not uncommon but not the super-common 1''x8 that most accessories come in.

Mauser44

New User
John
This lathe has a 1.25'' x 8 tpi spindle, which is not uncommon but not the super-common 1''x8 that most accessories come in.
Thank you Sam.
I just found it this AM re: 1.25x8 while reading some specs. Will be grabbing a couple of adapters. My current midi requires belt changes, so not optimal,workable for now.
Was planning on building a small cabinet underneath it for tools and blanks. Maybe I will build it and connect to the legs for extra weight, or possibly anchor to the concrete.
Thanks for the info on the weight

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
I have the exact one that is pictured. That length is needed for Shaker rockers that I've made + stools. Additionally, bowls from 2-3 inches up to 15". After 9 years, needed a replacement drive belt. Bearings still tight. Would buy Nova again if needed.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS