Nova 1624 bearings

Mauser44

New User
John
Hi.

I changed the headstock bearings on my nova lathe.
The bearings are the correct size and the lathe runs true and smooth now. The issue I am having is that the bearings got so hot that the chuck was too hot to touch.

The bearings don't spin much when spun by hand.
I cleaned the bearings a re-greased them.

Did I get bad bearings or am I missing something.
Thank you

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Those bearings are likely toast. I don't the know bearings for this tool per se but the bearings should not get that hot, something is not right. You could have gotten wrong bearings or maybe just a bad batch.

Mauser44

New User
John
Those bearings are likely toast. I don't the know bearings for this tool per se but the bearings should not get that hot, something is not right. You could have gotten wrong bearings or maybe just a bad batch.
Thank you.
I reached out to nova for the correct part before I ordered, so that rules out the part issue

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I'm not familiar with the Nova, but have replaced some lathe bearings. Sounds like the bearings may have been installed incorrectly. Did you follow factory directions for install and if so, did they talk about shimming the bearings and/or preload?

New bearings should get warm but not hot. Say 120F?

-Mark

Mauser44

New User
John
I followed instructions. I may have ended up with either a defective or fake. Reordered NTN from grainger. Fingers crossed

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS