'Nother pen...Oh, deer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A friend gave me some shedded Whitetail Deer antler to play with and asked if I would make him a pen out of it. So to try something a little different I turned a Classic American pen out of the antler. Both pieces came from the same "rack" but in different areas. I wanted to leave some bark on the top per his request.

Copy_of_Pens_358.jpg

And due to many folks urging and encouragement I decided to assemble my Prototype #1 cross inlay pen. I think I am putting lipstick on a pig, but I am sure that my friend will appreciate the effort and the price (free)

Copy_of_Pens_352.jpg

BTW, both pics were taken in the same set-up, one with a flash and the other without. I have never tried a flash before with pen pics, but I kinda like the results.
Thanks for lookin' :icon_thum

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Fine results on pens and pixs. :eusa_clap
The first pix (antler) was with the flash???

Roger

sapwood

New User
Roger
Tough question Dave :eusa_thin
The first pix is very eye catching. However, the brightness of the background overpowers the pen somewhat. The pen itself looks better in second pix, but the background and shadows diminish the overall impact.

Does that help :roll:

Roger

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Nice job on both, I'm glad you finished the inlay and think your friend will also.
Out of curiosity Which background is closest to the true color?
I am guessing the second one.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Dave, both pens look great! I think the 1st pic looks best. Can you go into some detail on how you did the inlay? I'd like to try something like that sometime, but I'm not sure where to start.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice job on both, I'm glad you finished the inlay and think your friend will also.
Out of curiosity Which background is closest to the true color?
I am guessing the second one.

Actually Eagle the background is medium blue like in the first pic with the antler pen. My little photo booth set up has either a blue or medium gray background. I find that the gray is a little to light, but somehow the blue washes out to a gray without the flash being used.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Can you go into some detail on how you did the inlay?

Pen inlays, the way I've done them (there are many different ways to go about it) are done just like any other inlay. A hole is cut and the inlay is put in the hole. What you choose to cut the hole with is a matter of what tools you have at your disposal and your ability to use them. I used a router, and have used a drill bit also.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Thank you for the second pic of the inlay. On the other post, I did not see the beauty of the wood (too dark) or realize the expert job of aligning the cross with the dark streak of grain. Despite what you feel are shortcomings in your work, little things like the ability to find the alignment of the inlay in relation to the wood BEFORE it is turned puts you into the artist class. You may feel the inlay is lacking, but it is really a beautiful piece that blends the inlay with the natural flow of the wood.
I am no turner, but I think it is outstanding!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Go

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mark, thank-you very much for the compliment. I wish I could say I planned it that way, but I really didn't. I had a choice of the cathedral face grain of the Cocobolo or the straight linear side grain, and because tighter grain looks better on the small scale of a pen, I decided not to obscure it with the inlay. Now that you point it out it does look pretty cool, almost like the cross is bleeding or rising up.

Dave (too honest for my own good):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS