Not too Much, Not too Little, I Think Just Right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
Not too far back I got some good how to feed back on shaping the beam for our new mantle. Thanks to the advice here and Brian Capallie, of Woodcraft's suggestion I put the 5" Flexcut draw knife to work. This was the first time I have used a draw knife and definitely the first time I used a tool to create a shape, but I believe I stuck a good balance.

mantle_015.jpg

View image in gallery

This has been a mostly hand tool operation and the one exception was using a circular saw to cut to length and getting a straight edge on the back. A few commented that I would be destroying the natural edge and understandably so, but by leaving some sapwood and some of the spalting I believe it turned out just right. What ya think?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Nice work - balanced I'd say, especially since it appears that you have all that on a Workmate!
Result looks great so far.

What is the plan for wall mounting?

Henry

lnelson

New User
Larry
A draw knife is a great tool and I think easier to control than a plane. I use them quite often in my canoe paddle building. Nice job on the mantle piece! I once had one 8' long cut out of ash like that. I sure hope that yours is either quite a bit lighter than mine was or that you have a strong back and a couple of strong friends!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Bryan, that is going to be one very nice mantle. How are you going to finish it.

+1 to getting some friends w/ strong backs and weak minds when it comes time to lift it. Or if they're not available, call me and I'll come help. :gar-La;

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done, I like it. You haven't destroyed the natural edge, just balanced it out of necessity and design preference. :icon_cheers

What is the wood species and how do you plan to finish it? It's a honker for sure!

Bryan S

Bryan
It is cherry and originally posted in this thread and one thing is certainly, right is it is heavy. As far as finishing I have not decided if I will stay with Waterlox mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits and wiped on or try something different.

The mason that redid our fireplace installed 1/2 in steel dowels to support it with. I will have to drill holes from the back side and slide the mantle onto the dowels.

Here are a before pics.

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
Very nice work! Looks great......and HEAVY. If you need a hand getting it set in place, would be glad to help you out.

Duane

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
NIce work Brian. I like that you used the draw knife. It gave you control over how much of a natural feel you wanted. It look casual but not "cabin" rustic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS