Not the Brightest Bulb on the Tree

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Yesterday I was reminded, yet again, that I am not the brightest bulb on the tree. This time it happened as I was changing paper on my drum sander. I use the drum sander frequently, so changing paper is not an uncommon task. That said, when I rolled the new paper on I was way off when I reached the other end of the drum...so I repeated the task...and once again it was off. At this point, I was certain that the good folks at Klingspor had mislabeled the box, but when I compared the new roll to the roll I had just removed it lined up perfectly; so I tried again...no luck! As I was looking at and fuming over the situation it suddenly dawned on me that I should try rolling the paper in the other direction....SUCCESS! On reflection, I am not too surprised that I rolled it in the wrong direction initially, but what is really irritating is that I didn't immediately recognize the problem! (I apologize to my friends at Klingspor who may have experienced some negative vibrations yesterday afternoon!)

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Yesterday I was reminded, yet again, that I am not the brightest bulb on the tree. This time it happened as I was changing paper on my drum sander. I use the drum sander frequently, so changing paper is not an uncommon task. That said, when I rolled the new paper on I was way off when I reached the other end of the drum...so I repeated the task...and once again it was off. At this point, I was certain that the good folks at Klingspor had mislabeled the box, but when I compared the new roll to the roll I had just removed it lined up perfectly; so I tried again...no luck! As I was looking at and fuming over the situation it suddenly dawned on me that I should try rolling the paper in the other direction....SUCCESS! On reflection, I am not too surprised that I rolled it in the wrong direction initially, but what is really irritating is that I didn't immediately recognize the problem! (I apologize to my friends at Klingspor who may have experienced some negative vibrations yesterday afternoon!)
Been there, done that. LOL

Those can get tricky, I buy the long rolls and cut them myself to save a few pennies.

Reactions: drw

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Everybody probably knows this, but when I reach the end, I am ready to secure the end into the spring clamp. I put a wood stick into the other end of the roller to keep the roller stationary and then clamp the end of the sandpaper. Also, it seems that the spring clamp seems to get much stronger with age; go figure. :rolleyes:

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member

Screenshot_20230125_072024_Chrome.jpg

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Donn, I wouldn't have known if I had not read. It is hard to get excited about confession when you are guilty.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
When I find a "STUPID LIGHT" that comes on BEFORE I do something stupid, rather than right after, I'll let you know if they have a second one! If they have second one, do you want me to go ahead and pick it for you?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
When I find a "STUPID LIGHT" that comes on BEFORE I do something stupid, rather than right after, I'll let you know if they have a second one! If they have second one, do you want me to go ahead and pick it for you?
Sure, if it works just one time it will be worth it!

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
LOL, the cabinet industry sure misses a lot of bright bulbs. Amazing the issues which happens when all the trades and installers work on one job and the GC is missing in action most of the time.

One of my ex guys on a $60k job, forgot to order the oven cabinet, stacked job to ceiling. He ordered the wrong cabinet above the oven cabinet. The refrigeration cabinet was designed 69" space for a 70" fridge. Then the two cabinets going above the fridge were ordered wrong sizes, a 67" fridge would not fit. A tall cabinet supposed to be a broom cabinet was ordered with a center divider and and rail. This all from one of our high end suppliers out of Kansas at top dollar.

Think it is time to plan a second retirement and get back to real woodworking only for personal pleasure.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS