RickR

Rick
Senior User
Found on craigslist...

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Genuine museum piece! ;) I'd place that as circa 1940-1950s. I have a friend that I salvaged a Craftsman band saw for and fixed it up; it's also on a pedestal and gold color. Those are well made machines actually, and can perform well.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yeah someone locally was selling one here for 85.00 on Craigs, it was in better shape too. IF........... I had a 4000sqft shop I might have gotten it but since my shop is a 2 car garage, oh well

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
Used one for years. Belonged to my Dad before me. He didn't have the pedestal but made a base out of an old treadle sewing machine base. I still have the base but put a white oak oval table top on it and it lives on my back porch.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Intriguing tool; although I have never seen the pedestal design, I assume it is intended to be bolted to the floor.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Looks DIY. Notice the saw has bench-top feet.
Still, no riving knife. Not for me.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
As it sets, I'd be a little worried also. The column needs to be rotated 90º
That looks like a 113-29901 model.
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/1059.pdf
The insides are heavy cast iron. Its actually a little heavier than the Rockwell contractor saw of old.
Pick that up for cheap and you'll have the basics of making a good table saw in the contractor saw category. Its no Unisaw, but its still pretty good and beats the heck out of a lot of cheap junk being made today.
The fence can be a little fussy, but that can be replaced.

Page 6 of this 1966 catalog shows it better. Looks like with motor and stand it weighs about 220 lbs.

Sears | Craftsman - Publication Reprints - 1966 Sears Power and Hand Tools | VintageMachinery.org

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Looks DIY. Notice the saw has bench-top feet.
Still, no riving knife. Not for me.
Those "feet" are the fastening lugs of the cast iron base that bolts to the saw's underneath.

I'm sure that there are a lot of wonderful bench top saws out there with a riving knife that you'd find more suitable.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
"beats the heck out of a lot of cheap junk being made today. "

Few statements more true!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Benchtops scare the heck out of me to start with. Looking to upgrade my contractor to big iron. ( with a proper knife)

JoeH

New User
JoeH
This is the saw I started woodworking on...pedestal and all.

The fence was fiddly as noted above. My biggest problem was the motor hung off the back and was driven by a really small belt and would not handle hard cuts well at all.

Joe

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS