Not so "tough" after all...

richlife

New User
Rich
Another "hello" from a while back. There are a couple of threads a year apart that describe my journey -- this is where we left off: Still Tough...

How does one say that despite all the angst and tough decisions, it finally did get better and nothing huge really changed? In sum, we spent a number of years considering downsizing and moving to a new place which meant basically giving up my workshop and tools. Surprise! We're still here. Some may have seen the tool and lumber sale posts last summer. I did find good homes for all my major tools (some to neighbors and friends). No regrets on either side. I do regret selling off all my lumber stock, but frankly would not have used any of it in the meantime. Life has been way too active, so minimal shop time.

After diligent financial analysis, it basically came out that if we sold our place (which we designed/built/improved over 26 years and dearly love) and then bought another place and went through the hassles of moving to a place neither of us thought would really be an improvement, we might come out about $50,000 ahead. Worth moving and losing all we have, our friends and neighbors? Not hardly! So instead we stayed and set out to fix the long time issues (some significant drainage problems) and will spend our lives enjoying what we made for ourselves. A new patio and walkways around the house took care of the drainage and added wonderful new spaces. Then it was some shock when I realized that the overhead tree encroachment had badly damaged our sun-loving lawn, but taking a new approach with microclover and adding lot of work seems to have taken care of that issue. Now with the large tools sold and a bench bandsaw to fill the remaining need, my shop is still "my space" and has plenty of room (includes workbench, router table, miter saw bench, bench drill press, bench planer and most of my hand tools including carving tools plus my finish room).

It was a long way to go, but truly only took a short time to get here -- and here is where we stay. "Feet first" as the saying goes. My replaced knees have both carried me through just fine and with daily workouts my health and fitness is better than 10 years ago. The biggest mistake I made before the decision to stay was to sell my 1995 Tacoma and get a Prius for our intended "new" environment. We just rectified that with a newer (2014) Tacoma and a small profit from re-selling the Prius. Now all that's needed is to find a home for this empty wood platform, but apparently my long absence means I can't post to Sales anymore. If you know of someone who needs a 6'x12' (pressure treated) platform for storage/drying, it's available for $150 plus moving it.

Attachments

• Platform shelter.jpg
    Platform shelter.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 215
  • Platform build.jpg
    Platform build.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 207

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rich you should be able to post to For Sale today. When you don't log into the site your ID goes into a like of suspended animation state. Every night a script runs to put returning users back to prior status. Try it today.

richlife

New User
Rich
Thanks, Scott. You're right! Post added. I also noticed that in one day I went from a newbie to a Senior Member! :D

I'd like to add that the ease of adding images now is great! Again, I'm behind the times, but still nice to see and use.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS