Not much woodworking, but maybe interesting to some

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I was asked by our church to build a tabletop tomb for the weeks leading up to and including Easter.
To make it more impactful, I came up with the "brilliant" idea to make it FULL SIZED. After doing a fair bit of research on 1st century tombs, I settled on this design. Size: 10' w x 5'3" h.
All surfaces are 1-1/2" thick EPS insulation with simple supporting wood framing. The framing of the two main front walls is hinged so it can be folded up for more compact storage. The front ledges and top capstone are held on with simple French cleats.
Texturing was done a wire wheel on the hand drill and a small Japanese pull saw for the deep cuts. After light sanding it was primed then painted with taupe latex house paint. It was then glazed with watered down Paynes gray and burnt sienna acrylic artist paint. There is only 16" of depth to work with so for the inside view, a 16" deep box was made. To make it look like it was about 12 ft deep, I modelled the inside of the room including the table in my 3D software. Then took a picture of the completed front "stone" texture and mapped that onto the walls and table. Set the virtual camera at 5ft viewing distance and 42 degrees field of view and rendered that. The rendering was printed out as a 40 x 32 poster and spray mounted to the inside 16" deep box. The Fedex/Kinkos on NC55 did a GREAT job of helping to match the color tones.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Installed Tomb.jpg
    Installed Tomb.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 148
  • Left stone column.jpg
    Left stone column.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 147
  • Panel Frame glue up.jpg
    Panel Frame glue up.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 131
  • Rough cutting with drywall saw.jpg
    Rough cutting with drywall saw.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 129
  • Static Cling.jpg
    Static Cling.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 130
  • Support.jpg
    Support.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 137
  • Undercoated and Glazed Finishes.jpg
    Undercoated and Glazed Finishes.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 141

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Nice work and interesting solution to the depth problem. What adhesive worked best on the foam? What church will be at?

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Original (expanding) Gorilla PU worked really well. Sand off the film that forms during extrusion, moisten one surface, apply glue to other surface.
There is a construction adhesive specifically for foam, but that takes a week to cure!
It's at Holy Infant Catholic church on NC54.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Very cool, it has overachiever written all over it. Maybe for your next project you can do a new cave exhibit for that new Lion at the Zoo!

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Original (expanding) Gorilla PU worked really well. Sand off the film that forms during extrusion, moisten one surface, apply glue to other surface.
There is a construction adhesive specifically for foam, but that takes a week to cure!
It's at Holy Infant Catholic church on NC54.

Hey that's the Church I grew up attending!

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
That's pretty cool. Looks realistic in the pictures.

I'm always amazed at the talent that is displayed on this forum.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Really nice Joe! See attached pictures that I took in 2015 of Jesus burial tomb in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jeruselum. If you look at the tomb entrance, I’d say you got the coloring and faux stone just right! As a side note…I’m not really religious and had the good fortune of going to Israel on a work trip but from a historical perspective, I’d recommend to anyone to go and check it out if you are into history or religion. (Sorry to get off topic)

Attachments

• 5DC4A0BC-993D-4797-AC17-2B1F8C1E1BB7.jpeg
    5DC4A0BC-993D-4797-AC17-2B1F8C1E1BB7.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 50
  • FAB22C01-951F-420E-B8DA-7808C523338E.jpeg
    FAB22C01-951F-420E-B8DA-7808C523338E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 53

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Really nice Joe! See attached pictures that I took in 2015 of Jesus burial tomb in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jeruselum. If you look at the tomb entrance, I’d say you got the coloring and faux stone just right! As a side note…I’m not really religious and had the good fortune of going to Israel on a work trip but from a historical perspective, I’d recommend to anyone to go and check it out if you are into history or religion. (Sorry to get off topic)
Thanks for the kind comments. I suspect you know this - the Holy Sepulcher is supposedly under the structure in your picture (no one knows with absolute certainty, but most scholars now agree) which was built about 1000 years later by Constantine.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS