Not Fine Woodworking

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
A couple of years ago I made a garden cart for my wife. I made it from leftover wood from an old fence. It was good while it lasted but by the end of this season it totally rotted out. I looked at buying some cedar to make a new one but found a kit on Amazon that looked decent and was less than the cost of materials for me to buy locally. I was skeptical but thought it was worth a shot. I was pleasantly surprised. It actually looks pretty good. It is solid cedar (not the best quality timber but should be ok). Construction was really easy. The sides fit to the legs with sliding dovetails and the brackets were preinstalled. They even had the legs and bottom stretcher premarked to space out the slats on the bottom shelf. They give you a screwdriver but there are a lot of screws and I wouldn't want to assemble this without a power driver. All in all, I'm very happy with it. Now we just have to see how well it holds up.
Here's the old and the new:
Garden Cart.jpg

Planter.png

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Looks good to me and I'm sure the wife is tickled with it. Better that she would be impressed with that over figured wood and gold inlays! I always hold my nose when ordering from Amazon due to their policies I dont agree with, but oftentimes, they are cheap and convenient and you can get some good stuff there.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
GEEZ! $109 + tax, pretty difficult for me to think about buying stock and stock prep (assuming assembly is a draw between purchase and DIY...

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
We have three very similar to that one. I sprayed a few coats of waterproofing stain on them for further protection.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
GEEZ! $109 + tax, pretty difficult for me to think about buying stock and stock prep (assuming assembly is a draw between purchase and DIY...
They actually had it for $87 over the weekend. Backup to 109 now.
The assembly is much easier with the kit. Dovetails precut, angle braces preinstalled on one side, bottom shell premarked for spacing, included a fitted liner for the box.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS