Not certain what this is

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought a group of chisels on Fleabay (for too much)
I was particularly interested in the chisel on the left - in hopes for cleaning corners of a dovetail! (yep! as received it is a VERY thin edge and should work well when it is tuned-up.)
1621012087644.png

and this was in the lot...

IMG_5996.JPG

I started to post this in the hand tool forum, but believe it is a wood turning tool...
Thinking it is a very creative version of a parting tool...
If you look at the groove (flute) cut into the working edges,

IMG_5997.JPG

IMG_5998.JPG

It looks like the Robert Sorby fluted parting tool :Fluted Parting Tool

The handle is cracked and loose, so once this is cleaned-up and back in service it will get a new handle...

IMG_5999.JPG

Have you ever seen one of these?
Are my assumptions correct? (Is this a woodturning parting tool?)

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: Oka

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I have no idea what it is, but it's a cool looking antique. Because it is so crude in its manufacture, I'm thinking a brand new handle might destroy any antique value it might have. Instead, what about filling the handle with epoxy and just letting it seep out the crack. The brass ferrule will hide the shank filling, and you could press some sanding dust into the epoxy when it's still wet and get darn close to the repair not even being noticeable. My 2 cents, and I hope your injury recovery is progressing well.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
That's the famous, or infamous if you prefer, Canadian "hockey stick" cutter. It's traditional to wear a woolen cap while using it and utter unintelligible things like, "eh," and "hoser."

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Obviously this is a corner chisel, to clean up the rounded edges left by the router bit. Or it's an Australian chisel for making boomerangs.

Very cool find Hank, never seen anything like it. Wonder what sort of advantage the angle gives you, and if it was for a very specific type of item to turn.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
And I thought it was for cutting around corners..... as opposed to "cutting corners"........ :D

Cool find ! Hank

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
since we're in the realm of idle speculation... here's mine.

Not a turning tool but a scribe for flat stock.
Draw it along a straight edge to scribe two parallel lines, or possibly create a bead.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I bought a group of chisels on Fleabay (for too much)
I was particularly interested in the chisel on the left - in hopes for cleaning corners of a dovetail! (yep! as received it is a VERY thin edge and should work well when it is tuned-up.)
View attachment 201816

and this was in the lot...

View attachment 201817

I started to post this in the hand tool forum, but believe it is a wood turning tool...
Thinking it is a very creative version of a parting tool...
If you look at the groove (flute) cut into the working edges,

View attachment 201818
View attachment 201820

It looks like the Robert Sorby fluted parting tool :Fluted Parting Tool

The handle is cracked and loose, so once this is cleaned-up and back in service it will get a new handle...

View attachment 201819

Have you ever seen one of these?
Are my assumptions correct? (Is this a woodturning parting tool?)

What are your thoughts?
looks more like a small fro to me. Would be used in basket making to rive out splits.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Judging from the shape of the tang, I'd say it was a file in a former life. Maybe a bed scraper for a machine tool?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
looks more like a small fro to me. Would be used in basket making to rive out splits.
Don't think so it has parallel side, no taper... and the groove or flute seems intentional...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sorby’s fluted parting tool is tapered a bit for clearance, but you indicated there is no taper to this tool.

I wonder if it could be an installation tool for splines such as you would see in the old style window screens.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Could be, Mike. Seems to me over the years I've had one of those "pizza cutter" tools that had a grooved rim.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS