Not a Saw Stop

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Bruce, speedy recovery, glad there is a light at the end of the recovery ....... you know when one of us gets injured we all are affected.

God Speed

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hit my left thumb twice over a few years ago. the two accidents happened over a 2 year time line. I was lucky both times I hit the back side of the blade. When the blade is coming up you loose some flesh, but the blade throws your hand up and away.

Get well soon old buddy. :)

Pop

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
That is a lot of sympathy from my wood family! First, the pain has been nearly negligible, and I finally took a shower this morning; I was able to stretch a vinyl glove over my right hand and the big old clumsy thumb. Of course my biggest problem is the darn thumb gets in the way of everything, including trying to type. The darn thing still hasn't totally quit seeping, and LOML insists I stay away from the shop until things get much better with the thumb. I was ripping soft maple for the angels when the dastardly act happened.
From the bottom of my heart thank you to every one of you for the kind and encouraging words, and especially for not pointing out how stupid and careless I was for letting this happen in the first place.

Last edited:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Glad to hear you have nearly no pain. My finger did not hurt after about 30 hours. At least it didn't hurt enough to require anything, even an aspirin. I got my stitches out yesterday (2 weeks after) and the splint is off too. I can type but still have band aids over the end of the finger. My finger got stiff and I am still working to get it to have normal flexibility. It will never look the same but I am not going to loose much. I mention this because I think it might help you know what may be coming shortly for you, not to hijack. My finger also oozed for the first 2 weeks but it got gradually less. I can type now but I will not have normal sensitivity for quite awhile, maybe ever - although it already feels much more normal. I hope you can get back to the shop soon.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Was just out to the shop, but only looking and planning. Tomorrow I will spend time out there just organizing and reorganizing. I had an 18' x 22' addition on the back of the shop that was very poorly built by the previous property owner. I had to tear it down and I want to frame up the replacement addition, but using better carpentry skills. The original builder didn't allow for any overhang on the sides, plus a shallow pitch using asphalt shingles. I need the room badly as the shop is too crowded with lumber, machines, benches, and shelves. Concrete floor will probably be the biggest expense. Anyone know the latest concrete prices?

afn59999

New User
Dan
Sorry to hear about your accident.
After you have finished paying alll the medical bills (ER, Doctors, prescriptions, etc.) could you total them up and post them here? Then we can have a first hand account to compare if the difference in price of the saw would have been worth it. Thanks.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
My only out of pocket expense was for the antibiotic pills and pain pills, Medicare and my Plan F supplement take care of every penny. The downside of the injury is it is still oozing blood 5 days later and is sensitive to very much pressure. Also having to do many things with the left hand--I just mentioned to Beth, my wife, that it seems most things are designed for right handed people, this after setting up the coffee pot this morning, and also the lost time of not being able to work in the shop. But I was very blessed in that this is just a flesh wound, a very big flesh wound, but only required stitches and adapting to using left hand for most things. I will recover with an ugly looking thumb in the end, but I'm glad I'm not addicted to sucking my thumb anymore. :p ;)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear about your accident.
After you have finished paying alll the medical bills (ER, Doctors, prescriptions, etc.) could you total them up and post them here? Then we can have a first hand account to compare if the difference in price of the saw would have been worth it. Thanks.

Not exactly to point but a about 5 years ago my brother in law cut his finger with an electric chain saw. While he did not cut the bone he cut down to the bone. He only had a high deductible insurance with a 10,000 deductible. The ER visit and one follow up visit to his regular doctor cost him out of pocket $5,000. He was also in a lot of pain for several weeks and to this day he still does not have a lot of feeling in that finger. In my book $5,000 out of pocket + several weeks of pain + permanent nerve damage more than covers the price of the saw. Call it additional insurance. For the record I bought my SawStop after my BIL's accident.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I bought my SawStop about 12 years ago...when my kids started having kids. I envisioned a time when my grandchildren may want to help me in the shop; a few extra bucks bought a little more peace of mind regarding their safety and mine.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS