Not a Saw Stop

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Did some experimenting on my Jet SS10
table saw. Used my right thumb to test how fast the blade would stop, and my theory proved correct. Looks like a long night in the ER. Not too bad though, I don’t mean my thumb. Got a big cup of coffee to pacify me.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry for your misguided thumb. Get another cup of coffee and be more careful.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Bruce,

That's not an item on your bucket list my friend! Hope it wasn't too serious and that you didn't damage the blade! :confused: Hope you have a speedy recovery.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Cut wasn't too serious, didn't hit the bone or the nail, missed any ligaments or other important stuff, but lost 1/8" x 1 1/4' of flesh as the cut all the way through from front to back. Was considering mounting a Thin Kerf Glue Line Rip, if I'd done it I would have lost half the flesh. Well a few stitches and a hand splint and I'm on the mend. Considering taking the day off tomorrow. If I had used my push sticks like I know I should, this would not have happened. After making about a 24" rip in 1 3/4" soft maple, the blade caught my thumb as I was pulling my hand back and let my hand drop. So even after nearly 70 years of running power saws, I got too comfortable with a table saw that you need to constantly aware of every movement around. I'll heal so please don't feel sorry for me, just another word of caution to always be on your toes in the shop.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Sorta remember something like that:eek: Though healed lack of nerves makes this old dog learn new tricks. Hope you he a completely!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Brother I am so sorry. Glad it did not turn out worse. Take the week off.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Hoping you a speedy recovery and good healing.

You probably would have the same injury if you'd been using a SawStop even with their fail-safe hot dog advertising!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Bruce, may I suggest next time you want to test the blade on your TS you use a hot dog, like they do w/ Saw Stop. ;)

Be safe, my friend. We seniors don't heal as fast as we used to.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear about your accident Bruce. I had a similar test a few years ago. At that time my grandkids were coming to my place every week, for shop class. That,s what promted me to get a Saw Stop.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear this, hope it heals quickly and you get back to your usual activities. Sure glad it wasn't worse!!!

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
Bruce , :oops: I did this test years ago. Thumb on right hand still fills strange. Hope it heals quickly

UncleJoe

Joe
Senior User
Sorry to hear this. These things can happen to the best of us. All it take is a moment. Heal fast and well.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear your misfortune Bruce. Praying you have a full recovery and quick healing

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS