Northumbrian Bagpipe Project - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I've returned to my English Northumbrian Small Pipes project, after putting it aside more than a year ago. First, a view of the "workshop" while working on the project:

Lathe_SR_Kitchen_2-dscf1319.jpg

Here's the state of the project as of a few days ago:

Northumbrian_pipe_1-dscf1316.jpg

And here's the pipe-chanter after boring and partly roughed down between centers (It did not occur to me, not being used to the new Nova chuck, that I could have turned the top-end tenon and then done all the hard roughing by driving with the chuck! :eusa_doh:

Northumbrian_chanter_2-dscf1317.jpg

Fortunately, I put it aside last night after getting that far, and when I came home today from grocery shopping I realized I could put it in to the chuck for finish-turning :icon_cheers:

Northumbrian_chanter_1-dscf1320.jpg

Now I need either a new small piece of mammoth ivory, or a synthetic substitute, to make the sole-plate for the chanter end; I have only one small piece left which is reserved for the middle (baritone) drone. If anyone knows of either a source of mammoth ivory, or can suggest a good-looking substitute, please do mention it! The dimensions of the sole for the chanter would be just under 3/8-inch thick by just about a sixteenth over 1-inch diameter.

I will have to locate my old "eggbeater" drill for the finger-holes, as I can't put out the dollars for another drill press for a long time yet after purchasing the chuck. Of course the old bagpipe makers did not have drill presses, they too had to use hand drills, so I should be able to manage the same way :icon_thum

Regards, John

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
John; I am not sure of the color or texture of mammoth ivory, but I have used Tagua nut as a good substitute for ivory in the past. I may even have some. Your work is exceptional!

Dino

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
John,

This is one very kewl project. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed instrument. Do you also play the war pipes? And if so, will you play at the NCWW picnic?:gar-Bi

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
John,

This is one very kewl project. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed instrument. Do you also play the war pipes? And if so, will you play at the North Carolina Woodworker picnic?:gar-Bi

I do indeed play the war pipes; however, it is my misfortune to live in California, but I would love to attend, if you will send me a round-trip airline ticket! :gar-Bi

regards, John

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
John,

Appreciate the willingness to play for us... I should have looked at the fine print under your avatar. Second time I got a bit confused today regarding avatars.

Please do share any other WIP photos... and a shot or two of the final product.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
John,

I don't know the first thing about ivory or where to get it, but I'm really enjoying the WIP pics. :icon_thum

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
I do indeed play the war pipes; however, it is my misfortune to live in California, but I would love to attend, if you will send me a round-trip airline ticket! :gar-Bi

regards, John

John,

You could always post a music/video clip of you playing:gar-Bi BTW, what material are you going to use for the bag?

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
John,

You could always post a music/video clip of you playing:gar-Bi BTW, what material are you going to use for the bag?

If I can find someone to make a video, I'll do that sometime. A non-video music clip is more in the realm of my possibilities, but in either case will have to wait on the weather to clear up as the war pipes are an outdoor instrument!

The NSP is a bellows-blown pipe (no moisture to worry about), so the pipe-bag will most likely be Naugahyde, although such bags need to be made of two thicknesses to eliminate excess stretch (i.e., a single-layer has too much flex for ease of steady blowing with a bellows). Cheaper than leather, but almost as much work!

regards, John

Last edited:

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
Getting started on drilling the finger-holes:

Northumbrian_chanter_3-dscf1321.jpg

I'm using the egg-beater hand drill with brad-point bits, and have provided backing in the bore to prevent breakout and feathering of the hole bottoms. The backing consists of a piece of bamboo-skewer wrapped in a piece of bond paper until it's a snug but sliding fit. I used a dial-caliper to mark the hole locations, then made small center-marks by use of a sharp scribing tool.

A small piece of Scotch Magic tape is wrapped around the bit as a drilling depth indicator.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
BTW, the plans for this set, and more complex sets of the same, were found in a book entitled The Northumbrian Bagpipes by W. A. Cocks, F.S.A. (Scot.) and J. F. Bryan, F. S. A. (Scot.), first published 1967, Revised and Enlarged Edition 1975. "Published by The Northumbrian Pipers' Society, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1975"

I purchased my copy by mail-order quite some time ago from a music shop called Lark In The Morning, but the book is now long out of print. ISBN 0 902510 06 1 (Hard Back) and ISBN 0 902510 05 3 (Limp Cover). I googled to see if it showed up used, and it did; one copy for sale, used, at Alibris UK for $106.90! I think I paid something like less than $20 to $30 new when I bought it so long ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS