North Bennet Street School - Shamrocks Semester 1 Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Well hello fellow NC Woodworkers and happy winter from the not so great white north. I think you all may have received more snow this year than us so far! :gar-BiAlas I digress. The real point is to catch you all up on the 1st semester of NBSS projects. If you want more of the specifics of the week to week details, well you know where to go now don't you :wink_smil http://shamrockwoodstudio.com/blog

Without further adieu:

The 1st North Bennet Street Project is a small shaker night stand design. The base is poplar that we are required to paint with milk paint, we also have to turn the knob for the drawer. I used General Finishes Milk paint in Klien Blue and turned my knob out of Acrylic using a bottle stopper blank. The top is French Polished Shellac, again a project requirement:

Mike Mckee Shaker nightstand.jpg

The second project was a Windsor chair we built out of "green" lumber in a 3 week class we had with chairmaker Peter Galbert. His book the Chairmakers Notebook is now one of my top ten great woodworking books of all time, check it out! For the chair itself we used "green" white oak for the chair spindles and hoop, and "green" maple for the legs and stretchers. The only dried part of the chair was the seat, out of Yellow Pine. Again we painted the chair with milk paint and this time I went with the Real Milk Paint Co. and tried the rub through approach. I was listening to reggae music the day we started finishing so I decided on a Rasta themed chair. The 1st coats looked like this:

Rasta Chair.JPG

I then painted the final 2 coats black:

Full-View-Rasta-Chair-e1455760937781.jpg

Then rubbed through the finish in certain areas to reveal subtle layers of the color underneath:

Back Rasta Chair.JPG

Seat Rasta Chair.JPG

Next up was one of the big ones: The NBSS toolbox. I decided to build mine out of Butternut with a Curly Maple lid. I fitted my lid so I can flip it to be either raised panel side out or flat panel side out. I experimented with ammonia fuming the butternut for a richer color but on my samples it turned the butternut a greenish hue so I went with an easy old standby, wipe on poly. I turned the knobs out of curly maple but they didn't quite have the contrast I was going for when the 1st coat of finish went on so I painted them black which provided a nice pop. When I completed the project and put the finished piece together I got a nice surprise in that the case is so airtight that I have positive pressure inside the case and when I put the front lid on it closes on a cushion of air that sucks it in, kind of like a soft close drawer. Check it out!

[video]http://shamrockwoodstudio.com/images/sized/Soft-close-lid-Movie-with-music.mp4?_=1[/video]

tool box panel flat.JPG

tool  box 1.JPG

tool box details.JPG

tool box 2.JPG

tool-box-dovetails-e1457236017825.jpg

tool box 4.JPG

I also took a little bit of extra time and made a custom insert for the bottom drawer to house all of my handplanes:

tool-insert-e1457235644496.jpg

tool box insert 3.JPG

I also took a bowl turning class one weekend, so I've been trying to walk the line just this side of getting caught by the vortex of the dark side:

cherry-bowl-e1457292660550.jpg

mahogany-turned-bowl-e1457292716553.jpg

So now consider yourself caught up, Semester 2 is in full swing and I'll be building this chair :

chair build prototype.JPG

as well as working on my required table project and case piece. Stay tuned for more from sunny Boston!

Attachments

• Full View Rasta Chair.JPG
    Full View Rasta Chair.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0585.jpg
    IMG_0585.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 151
  • tool box front lid raised.JPG
    tool box front lid raised.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 198
  • tool box dovetails.JPG
    tool box dovetails.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 185
  • tool insert.JPG
    tool insert.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 175
  • cherry bowl.JPG
    cherry bowl.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 167
  • mahogany turned bowl.JPG
    mahogany turned bowl.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 163

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Looks like you've been busy. I don't recall a warmer winter in New England so.. I guess the walk to school is a little easier. Peter left NY and moved to Mass so I guess he's their go to guy on the Windsor stuff. Glad to hear that.

I don't have his book but would like to see it some day.

Thanks for the post.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Good stuff, Mike. Keep up the great work and enjoy this time ... what a great experience & opportunity.

PS - When does your book come out?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks Mike. I thought your work was pretty darn good before you went to Boston, but it just keeps getting better. I love your tool box. Nothing wild and crazy like some I've seen come out of there, but very well made and functional. Should serve you well for decades to come.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks like you've been busy. I don't recall a warmer winter in New England so.. I guess the walk to school is a little easier. Peter left NY and moved to Mass so I guess he's their go to guy on the Windsor stuff. Glad to hear that.

I don't have his book but would like to see it some day.

Thanks for the post.

Remind me and I'll bring it Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS