Norm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
If you're a big Norm fan, you will enjoy this recent interview with him. He sort of answers the question, "Why did you stop The New Yankee Workshop"?

[video=youtube;84vE-2mSqtc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84vE-2mSqtc[/video]

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I've met Norm twice and he is a great guy. I've worked in NASCAR for years and have met tons of drivers and other big shots but I would take sitting down with a cup of coffee with Norm any day. He is truely missed.

Red

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
What I learned from his show...

You can't do ANYTHING without a $100,000 shop full of power tools.

Plywood and screws are better than any museum piece of furniture.

You need at least ten routers.

You can finish any project in 30 minutes.

A little glue and a few brads will hold anything.

Chisels are for removing excess glue, they have no other purpose.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, go a little easy on the poor guy. He introduced a lot of us to woodworking and even though I know a lot more about woodworking than what I learned watching his shows, he and Roy Underhill were my introduction to woodworking.

I've matured way past his techniques but he did establish a basis for progressing to the level I'm beginning to obtain. I've built several of his projects from his exact plans (modified somewhat) and have learned valuable lessons along the way.

Some of us are able to see the good along with the media fast formula pablum that was forced on him by the TV production schedule.

I do admit that I would love to have that re-saw unit with the 3" blade in my shop though. If I had room.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yeah, I know he did a lot to introduce the public to woodworking. But, I still wish there was a very practical woodworking show that showed both sides of the shop and took time to explain the whys and ways of building things with wood.

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
Yeah, I know he did a lot to introduce the public to woodworking. But, I still wish there was a very practical woodworking show that showed both sides of the shop and took time to explain the whys and ways of building things with wood.

Mike, here is an awesome business and TV show for you, how can Klingspor's Woodworking Shop help you with this bold adventure? :widea:

Coleman

yea this a turn off to rough cut most of what he does seem so out of touch.... and once I got used to him and what came across as rude to his shop mates I still look forward to watching.... the other thing that helped was a interview with him about how much real time goes into preparing each project that we do not see.... norm made things more tangible at least to me when I dreamed of one day having some of the tools he used

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Yep FredP could be the next "NORM' FredP is what I consider a true blue Wood Worker

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am probably going to take a lot of crap for this.

I admit it - I am NOT a "Norm-fan"

BUT - I think I watched EVERY show... I learned a lot!:)

His way is not how I wanted to do woodworking. And not how I wanted to learn wood working.

BUT - AGAIN - it whetted my appetite to go where I had to - to learn more and become more skilled... SO it is a GREAT thing he and Roy did what they did!

My take - Norm was basically a "Carpenter / Woodworker" he definitely has skills to do "High-skill" projects like a period highboy, but Like Mike I was a little off-put with the use of the brad nailer and waht appeared to be lack of hand-tool skills...

It is easy to pick looking back - many of us watched Three's company and thought it was funny! It seems REALLY different now...

TAT - don't even start me on Rough cut!

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
People tend to forget the fact that the New Yankee Workshop was really an infomercial for Delta woodworking tools. While Norm showed you how to build a project he was also showing you what can be done with this particular tool. That’s why he had one or six of everything. You saw him use it and you went out and purchased it. His skills are great and the quality of his projects are top notch! I’ve seen a bunch of his work up close and it’s very nice.

Red

Len

New User
Len
I wasn't into woodworking at all when NYW first came out, but I liked the show. I'd say the two things I really took away from the show, that still serve me today are, "Measure twice, cut once.", and how to check the squareness of a project by measuring opposite diagonals.

The power tools were nice, but way beyond my budget and space at the time.

Len

bwat

New User
Bill
And remembe this, there is no more important safety rule than to wear these- safety glasses!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Norm always gets picked on for his brad nailer. :swoon: I would be willing to bet that if that, or any other tool that we use today were available 100 years ago those craftsmen would have used them too.:icon_thum Nail guns as well as screws dowels ect all have their place in our hobby/profession. So don't be too hard on the man. It was a good show. I just wish he could have had a longer time slot. I learned some good stuff from Norm and I also learned how NOT to do some things from him as well.:gar-Bi YMMV

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Norm always gets picked on for his brad nailer. :swoon: I would be willing to bet that if that, or any other tool that we use today were available 100 years ago those craftsmen would have used them too.:icon_thum Nail guns as well as screws dowels ect all have their place in our hobby/profession. So don't be too hard on the man. It was a good show. I just wish he could have had a longer time slot. I learned some good stuff from Norm and I also learned how NOT to do some things from him as well.:gar-Bi YMMV

My vote is for FredP as the new Norm :thumbup

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a biscuit joiner and a brad nailer because of Norm - maybe not for the purist but biscuits are a great way to align a bunch of boards when making a table top - the brad nailer sure helps when making a set of cabinets for the Garage -
I owe a bit of gratitude to Roy for showing me more of the possibilities with hand tools - not really going neander with it,but I like the results and the option to work quietly without quite so much fine dust.
Marc lets us be comfortable combining the work methods.
Tommy - not sure about this yankee, but he also shows us the options available in the craft we enjoy.
To the crowd of tree users on this site - thanks for the guidance, disagreements and tolerance for the many ideas, suggestions, opinions, encouragement and continuing the education for the rest of us

BWSmith

New User
BW
I started in the wood/cabinet biz with my late father,40+ years ago.He was a bonafied "trim man"......one of my alltime favorite observances was when Dad would really get "rolling",hand nailing trim on.Evvvvvvery once and a while he'd get a 3p nail started backwards(he's flat out flying)and get it a cpl strikes in before it would be noticed.

I watched Norm a little.....all things considered,I'd give credit for a few things.Mostly,if it got just one more guy off the couch and into the shop,he's cool in my book.But one glaring criticism....and it just can not be ignored is....he had his leather apron on backwards.Really bad for your back...the more "gut" you got,the more important this "offsetting" balance,becomes.

If I was ever in a shop with him......we just could not get over asking him to squat down and pick up that pce of wood,or whatever.All his nails N stuff would fall out of his backward apron.We'd continue this until he got the message....'cause,just like Dad driving nails in backward,we'd never get tired of laughing at it,haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS