Non woodworking related gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I can't remember if I mentioned this before or not, but my first school of the season is Honolulu, HI, in February. :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc I thought that this would be a perfect opportunity to bring Christy with me, and of course, she didn't object. :gar-La; So after some planning and getting some extra $$$ together, we finally have everything booked. We decided to fly out 6 days early and have a little vacation before I have to work. So we're going to be on the East coast of Kauai for 5 nights, then we're flying back to Honolulu for me to work. That will be another 5 nights and we're staying at Waikiki Beach.

I can't tell you how much we are looking forward to this. :gar-Bi One of my first thoughts was that two fair-skinned people from NC in the winter are going to Hawaii. I hope we don't blind everyone when we walk out onto the beach. :rotflm:

Glennbear

Glenn
That is fantastic Trent !!!!:icon_thum I do hope that you take precautions to protect that pale NC skin from the unfamiliar Pacific sun. I daresay that boredom will be less a factor than it has been on recent trips. :wsmile:

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Went there for our 25th anniversary. Wonderful place. If you have the money & time take the seaplane tour of Oahu. Same cost as helicopter tour yet twice as long-plus it ends following the same course & altitude the Japanese took when invading Pearl Harbor and concludes with a flyover of Ford Island and the Arizona Memorial. :icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Congratulations Trent!

You guys deserve a nice break from the norm, and I am sure that Christie will enjoy it in spite of you having to "work":gar-La;. She will end up way ahead of you in the suntan department.

Have fun and take lots of pictures that you can share with us when you guys get back to the cold February NC winter!

Wayne

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Aloha, Trent & Christie,
I see you've already discovered that Kauai is the most beautiful of the inhabited islands. We lived there (Wailua Homesteads) for 5 years before moving here (for business). As such, if you need any "insider tips" about Kauai, or local contacts, feel free to PM or email me at HaoleRuss@gmail.com. Shoots, brah, you can even call me; if you email, I'll give you the number. My body's in NC, but my soul (not the Biblical soul) is still on Kauai. One thing's certain; you two will enjoy yourselves - malama pono a hui hou!
Russ

Shamrock

New User
Michael
That sounds fantastic Trent! Methinks however that you may be missing an island? middle of winter/Hawaii-what's the 1st thing that comes to our minds?:wink_smil Christi wouldn't mind a detour I'm sure-nothing like felling the ground shake on the beach!

Have fun

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
If you get a chance, and if it's still there; take a pic of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. Every time I could get to Hickham, I'd stay there. (1960's)

richlife

New User
Rich
Fantastic, Trent! You and Christie are going to love it. One suggestion is that you enjoy your time where you are and not try to see all of Hawaii in one short trip. The other is that both (basically ALL) islands have a circular road that goes completely around (except Kauai). Take a day (or even two) to follow that road and see all that those two islands have to show.

Oahu is truly amazing and very diverse -- great ride. Go counter-clockwise from Waikiki so you hit the best parts first while you're fresh. The Kauai road does not go all the way around because of the rugged mountains on the north side. But the north side to me is the cream of Kauai. Sheila and I spent 5 days there on one trip just outside the magic land of Hanna-lee (Hanalai). I don't know if it's still the same, but after Princeville the road was so narrow that tour buses weren't allowed.

It's a special trip -- I never truly got over Hawaii and still hope to go back for a third time. I'll bet you'll want to return also, so save some islands for the next trip. Oh, and btw, 10 days should be an ideal minimum for a trip to Hawaii.

Rich

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Surfs up!

Have a wonderful trip!

Feel free to bring me back 20 or 30 pounds of green Kona coffee :)

Jim

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thanks for the tips! :notworthy: And by all means, keep them coming. :icon_thum

Went there for our 25th anniversary. Wonderful place. If you have the money & time take the seaplane tour of Oahu. Same cost as helicopter tour yet twice as long-plus it ends following the same course & altitude the Japanese took when invading Pearl Harbor and concludes with a flyover of Ford Island and the Arizona Memorial. :icon_thum

Jerry, that sounds like a great tour. I had actually looked into a helicopter tour of Kauai, but that costs about $500. :nah:

Aloha, Trent & Christie,
I see you've already discovered that Kauai is the most beautiful of the inhabited islands. We lived there (Wailua Homesteads) for 5 years before moving here (for business). As such, if you need any "insider tips" about Kauai, or local contacts, feel free to PM or email me at HaoleRuss@gmail.com. Shoots, brah, you can even call me; if you email, I'll give you the number. My body's in NC, but my soul (not the Biblical soul) is still on Kauai. One thing's certain; you two will enjoy yourselves - malama pono a hui hou!
Russ

Russ, thanks so much! Email sent. :icon_thum

That sounds fantastic Trent! Methinks however that you may be missing an island? middle of winter/Hawaii-what's the 1st thing that comes to our minds?:wink_smil Christi wouldn't mind a detour I'm sure-nothing like felling the ground shake on the beach!

Mike, I'm definitely going to go up and check out the North Shore when we're in Oahu, but if it looks anything even remotely like it does in the magazines and surf vids, I'm not paddling out. :nah: I haven't surfed in a year now and I'd like to live to be able to come back another time. :rotflm:

If you get a chance, and if it's still there; take a pic of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. Every time I could get to Hickham, I'd stay there. (1960's)

Joe, I just looked it up on a map and it looks like our hotel is about two blocks from the Royal Hawaiian. I'll snap a picture for you. :icon_thum

Fantastic, Trent! You and Christie are going to love it. One suggestion is that you enjoy your time where you are and not try to see all of Hawaii in one short trip. The other is that both (basically ALL) islands have a circular road that goes completely around (except Kauai). Take a day (or even two) to follow that road and see all that those two islands have to show.

Oahu is truly amazing and very diverse -- great ride. Go counter-clockwise from Waikiki so you hit the best parts first while you're fresh. The Kauai road does not go all the way around because of the rugged mountains on the north side. But the north side to me is the cream of Kauai. Sheila and I spent 5 days there on one trip just outside the magic land of Hanna-lee (Hanalai). I don't know if it's still the same, but after Princeville the road was so narrow that tour buses weren't allowed.

It's a special trip -- I never truly got over Hawaii and still hope to go back for a third time. I'll bet you'll want to return also, so save some islands for the next trip. Oh, and btw, 10 days should be an ideal minimum for a trip to Hawaii.

Rich, thanks so much for the advice. We're definitely planning to wake up everyday and explore the island, while On Kauai. I have to work while we're on Waikiki, but we do plan to take a ride around the island and see all the different parts of it. :icon_thum

Feel free to bring me back 20 or 30 pounds of green Kona coffee :smile:

Jim, I'll just fill my pockets with it and see how much I have left when I get back. :rotflm:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Congrats Trent. Ya'll will love the islands. If you've never been there, be prepared for the humidity when you step off the plane. It's got NC beat.

Coffee? Forget the coffee, how about 20 - 30 bf of Koa. :rotflm:

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors