Non toxic sealant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hues24

New User
hues24
:confused:
Hi all, I have some massage tools being made for me by Mr. Mike Davis. I am using these tools to try a new massage modality. I will get these sanded but unsealed. I don't want a sealant that is toxic or that will "dull" the grain, I don't want it to become "slick" I still want the tool to be able to create drag over the skin. I would think I would need some type of sealant though. Perhaps Mineral oil? We are using Cedar. Any ideas? Thanks, you guys are a wealth of information.:)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I use organic flax seed oil on my spoons and bowls, I can treat these the same way if you like.

JohnW

New User
John
Shellac may be a good choice. It's a good sealer, provides a nice finish, is an organic natural material and is easily repaired/retouched. On dry skin it should have enough "grab" for a massage tool. On wet skin it would be slippery.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
All sealants and finishes sold in the US are non toxic once cured. This can take a few hours to a few weeks. While mineral oil is non toxic it never really dries or hardens so if the massage is done through the clothing there is a minor risk of it staining the clothing.

Last edited:

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
+3 for oil as well. I reach for mineral oil (for human comsumption) b/c I can get it cheap anywhere (drug store, supermarket, etc) but it's all the same to me.

Mike -Is flax seed oil the same as linseed oil?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Flax seed is linseed but the extraction method differs and so are named differently.
Flax seed oil is cold pressed, virgin oil with absolutely no additives.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I never had a massage in my life, I wonder if it's something to put on my punch list?... But with my luck I would get someone named Helga the German pain master. Oh wait that's my doctors nurse :(

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
I agree with Mike but have just read a link from Lost Art Press about a Scandinavian finish "soap". Sounds interesting. Might have real possibilities with massage tools.

Hues24

New User
hues24
All massage is, is allowing better blood flow by manipulating soft and connective tissue. The blood does most of the work, massage just helps the blood get there. :) 12 years of doing massage full time and I am still learning new things about the body, Kinda like woodworking.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors