no inspiration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I've had a few days off and wanted to do a little wwing but I just can't get in the mood for anything. I finally resorted to refinishing my bench top Sat. and Sun. and today I started cleaning and tuning up my hand planes. There's a few more to do tomorrow then I'll start on chisels and spoke shaves. So I guess the time hasn't been frittered away. There is something very satisfing in sharpening and tuning up for me. I keep a board on the bench and try each one before putting it away. But still I wish I could get motivated to start building a project. It must be the hot weather. Any one else having this problem?

T

toolferone

The heat is a killer. I HAVE to be in the shop the next few days and not looking forward to the heat.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I am right with you, Larry!

I started work on a pair if bookcases for LOML about three weeks ago. Got them completed to the final sanding and finishing stage and then the heat set in.

There they have sat in the shop waiting for the weather to cool down a bit to complete.

I don't seem to get much done out there in the garage/shop when the temp is at around 80-85 degrees with outside aroung 100!!!!

Cooler temps will come though.

Hang in there!

Wayne

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
One thing I know, Mr. Rose. When "inspiration" comes, the end result will be awesome!! :wsmile:

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I can identify, Larry. Some days I'm more in love with the thought of woodworking than I am in the actual doing. On these days sometimes I'll sharpen, like you did, or run a bunch of rough boards through the planer.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
No worries Larry. I've felt like that for about a year and a half now. Granted there's been a lot of other things going on in life, but the heat sure doesn't help this time of year. At first, I felt worried that I didn't feel like doing any woodworking, but soon after I just realized that I couldn't do it without the inspiration that you speak of. Then it's just work. :no: Take a little break and wait on the inspiration to hit you. :icon_thum

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Happens to me from time to time.

Right now, I have the opposite problem. I have a project in process that I am trying to complete in my air conditioned shop. The problem is LOML has me working on outdoor projects. Today was spent pressure washing the house and deck. Didn't get it finished, so I'll be out there again tomorrow, in the heat.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Happens to me from time to time.

Right now, I have the opposite problem. I have a project in process that I am trying to complete in my air conditioned shop. The problem is LOML has me working on outdoor projects. Today was spent pressure washing the house and deck. Didn't get it finished, so I'll be out there again tomorrow, in the heat.

I'm in the same boat as Mark. I've got a couple of projects ready to start in my air conditioned shop, but LOML had me up on a ladder painting the trim in our hallway and up the stairs. I told her I didn't want to do it, so she said, "Fine, we can hire somebody." Never mind, I'll do it. :gar-Cr

Cato

New User
Bob
Larry, I have been fortunate that my shop is heated and cooled, but I still go through periods when I am not motivated to start a new project and just have to wait for that motivation to kick in.

Why its a hobby I guess, but the equipment is still there waiting and I do enjoy just knocking around in the shop and doing a little maintenance or clean up until I get that kick to start another project.

A good source for me is Fine Woodworking mags or their website, and I see something that I think I can reasonably tackle and then its off to Walls Lumber again!!

If nothing else Xmas presents are a good thing to tackle when nothing else is looming on the horizon.

I really can't force it anymore than I can force myself to pick up the guitar and have a little session. For me its either there or its not and when its not I have to wait it out.

DavidF

New User
David
Heat? Heat??? Shut up you guys! wettest June in 100 years here, max temp about 45Deg.......

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
It seems like when I go out there, I either don't know what I should do or don't know what I should do first. I go through long periods of not being interested in working on things and then periods of wanting to do little else. While it is a hobby, I just roll with it. I do sometimes worry about my semi-retirement plan; I hope working to fill orders won't get to be a drag.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Hang in there Larry. I'm experiencing the same thing and when it's not inspiring it becomes drudgery. It'll pass with a nice snowfall! :confused:

Ahhhh! 45 degrees fahrenheit in the UK (i.e., about 7 degrees Celsius). That's a wee bit nippy in June methinks. Time for a single malt sip by the coal fire in the local pub. :thumbs_up

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Larry when i hit walls like these I like to find a quick project like turn a bottle stopper or honey dipper or scroll saw out an ornament. It does not work all the time but it helps me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS