Nightstand

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
My daughter-in-law requested that I build her a nightstand with "legs" because it needed to be placed in front of a floor vent. She provided a couple of pictures to serve as inspiration, but I thought they were a little too modern looking...basically a rectangular box on legs. That said, I modified the look a little which resulted in something she was happy to have and I was happy to build. The wood is sapele and was finished with five coats of Minwax Wipe-on-Poly (satin finish).

In the process of building the nightstand, I used Lie Nielsen 98/99 side rabbet planes to snugly fit the shelf board into the dado. I have had these planes for years and use them frequently. When I bought them 15 years ago I remembered the cost being relatively reasonable so I wondered how much the price had increased. I was very surprised to learn that they are no longer available from Lie-Nielsen; I can only assume that they were not a popular product. I realize there are other options for fitting dados, but these little planes are a nifty option.

7CC00FF9-A4FB-43E0-9CD5-22FA5B904999.jpeg

2F6C13DB-2365-400C-BE2C-FC9DFD74B282.jpeg
41F6A5BD-0B61-4A0F-A8AB-76A7009471B7.jpeg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Wowwww! Your shop looks really clean and well organized. Nice…

oh, and the nightstand turned out right nice too.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
WOW! Donn, that is REALLY nice!
I think the colors are off - I thought it was walnut until you said it was Sapele (It is showing as a deep brown on my computer) as opposed to the typical brown / red of Sapele...

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I am very appreciative of all the kind comments and "likes"...Thank You!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS