Nightstand complete (finally)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Over a year ago, I started on a nightstand to match the bed that I made. I ran into some hard times and didn't have a shop for a while, or at least not a big enough shop to really crank anything out. But about a month ago, I moved all of my tools to my work and have been working on various projects ever since. And with Christy and I in our new place, I decided to leave my old nightstand behind (a tv tray with ciggarette burn marks on it). :rotflm: In other words, IT WAS TIME TO FINISH THE FRICKIN NIGHTSTAND. :slap: Well, after sitting around wherever I was living in various states of completion, today, June 3, 2009, it is officially complete. :icon_cheers

It is mainly jatoba, with curly figured maple and jatoba veneer. The splines are ash. There were quite a few firsts for me on this one. Veneer, pocket screws, a drawer (which will remain unopened to preserve my pride :rotflm:). And I'm sure there are a few others that I have forgotten over all of this time.

tree_054.jpg

tree_054.jpg

tree_057.jpg

tree_060.jpg

tree_058.jpg

I definitely learned a lot of lessons in this project.

1. If you want to taper the legs, it is better to do it at the beginning.
2. Jatoba is a VERY hard wood.
3. When it comes to veneer, don't use a ROS.
4. Veneer is so awesome, but so difficult.
5. Procrastination sometimes pays off. :rotflm:

Thanks so much for looking. You all ROCK! :notworthy:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice, Trent!!!!!!!!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Love the top and the wood selection. (Are you gonna make a matching table - for the other side?)

Thanks for sharing the photo's with us.

Wayne

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Hot diggy dog-nice combo on the woods. How longs it gonna take to make the matching dresser?:gar-La;

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow Trent, that's down right impressive. I remember you talking about the veneered top and I was impressed with you taking it on...well you pulled it off very well. It's an excellent compliment to your bed...which impressed the heck out of me back in the "early" days. So now when are you going to build Christy on for her side of the bed ;)

Dave:)

skeeter

New User
Charles
Dude, nice job on the night stand. Being the nice person I am, I won't mention the drawer. :icon_thum :icon_thum
This post brings up some questions. Guess we need to talk.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
(Are you gonna make a matching table - for the other side?)

Well, for right now, money is tight, so not for a while. Basically, we've decided that whomever has to wake up the earliest for work gets the nightstand on their side of the bed. (Right now, that's me) :gar-Bi. Thanks so much Wayne! :icon_thum

Hot diggy dog-nice combo on the woods. How longs it gonna take to make the matching dresser?:gar-La;

Matching what? Dressss.....? what? Oh, hold on, I'm getting a phone call. :rotflm: Thanks Mike!

Wow Trent, that's down right impressive. I remember you talking about the veneered top and I was impressed with you taking it on...well you pulled it off very well. It's an excellent compliment to your bed...which impressed the heck out of me back in the "early" days. So now when are you going to build Christy on for her side of the bed :wink:

Thanks so much Dave! I assure you, the pictures don't tell the real story of the veneer. It is FAR from perfect. As a matter of fact, the veneer would have to take a long flight to perfect for vacation. :gar-La;

Dude, nice job on the night stand. Being the nice person I am, I won't mention the drawer. :icon_thum :icon_thum
This post brings up some questions. Guess we need to talk.

Thanks so much Charles! :eek:ccasion1 Thanks for not mentioning the drawer. :eusa_pray:notworthy: I can't wait for you and Wanda to meet Christy and am looking forward to finally having some spair time here in town. Time for some BBQ and quality shop time! :icon_thum

nice work trent!:icon_thum that top is to die for.:icon_cheers

Thanks Fred!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow. Not just impressive craftsmanship, but I really like it. The whole design just...works. You have come very far very quickly.

Mined spliters too. I mean smined pliters. Did you know "insert dimple" is an anagram for "splined miter? Tee-hee :)

Suggestion - try taking another picture like the 2nd one (that shows the top with shadows), but get more of the table. I'm thinking calendar picture here.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Nice one. I like the drawer :). Cut from the same piece of wood as the rest of the front with a bandsaw?

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
NICE job, Trent! :icon_thum
I can tell you how to prevent the cigarette burns! LOSE the cigarettes!!
:wsmile:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice job Trent:icon_thum
Thanks Phillip! :eek:ccasion1

Wow. Not just impressive craftsmanship, but I really like it. The whole design just...works. You have come very far very quickly.
Thanks Bas! :icon_thum
Mined spliters too. I mean smined pliters. Did you know "insert dimple" is an anagram for "splined miter? Tee-hee :smile:
Anagrams? It's only 8am! :swoon: :gar-La;
Suggestion - try taking another picture like the 2nd one (that shows the top with shadows), but get more of the table. I'm thinking calendar picture here.
I'll definitely do that. Our bedroom window faces West (ish) and we get plenty of natural light (not the beer) in there all afternoon. I'll have to experiment with that. :icon_thum

Nice one. I like the drawer :smile:. Cut from the same piece of wood as the rest of the front with a bandsaw?
You are correct. Good eye. :wink_smil Thanks! :icon_thum

That is way cool! How about a pic of the bed?
Thanks Doug! Here ya go. These are older pictures of it. It has aged a little now and has become a darker red.

Outstanding my bruddha :eusa_danc
i hope I can do something like that one day :notworthy:
Thanks Robert! :icon_thum I assure you, your work is MUCH more impressive than anything I've done. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

NICE job, Trent! :icon_thum
I can tell you how to prevent the cigarette burns! LOSE the cigarettes!!
:wsmile:
Thanks Reggie! :icon_thum They weren't my cigarette burns, I don't smoke inside, but you're right, I do need to quit. :embaresse

RickC

New User
Rick
Very nice job, Trent. Looks great, but you will always have the knowledge YOU did it! Plus all of those great stories to accompany it! :icon_thum:icon_thum

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
:eusa_clap:icon_thum:icon_thum

Nice Job!

How thin, did you go with the Veneer? I have found that any thinner than 1/8inch starts to get very curly when comes time for glue up.

Matt

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
:eusa_clap:icon_thum:icon_thum

Nice Job!

How thin, did you go with the Veneer? I have found that any thinner than 1/8inch starts to get very curly when comes time for glue up.

Matt

Matt,

I think it was 1/32" for the maple. The jatoba was closer to 1/8" and I just sanded it the best I could. It actually did curl up a little bit in the middle, but you can't really tell with the finish. Not sure what I did wrong. I used tightbond 2, but I'm pretty sure a lot of folks use better stuff. Also, I couldn't get my block plane to work that well and had some chatter while trimming off the excess. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: If any veneering aces want to jump in here with some advice, that would be awesome. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS