Night Stand in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

New User
Jay
I am getting ready to start finishing a night stand I have been working on for a while now. It is made out of red oak plywood and red oak solid wood. My wife has picked out some stain to try to match it to the furniture we already have. It is a minwax brand water based stain. My question is does anyone have any guidance on finishing techniques to use on it. It shouldn't get too much abuse. A drink on the top from time to time but that is about it. I am a newbie as most of you already know so it would help if you don't get too far over my head. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I have left out any pertinent information on which to make your suggestions from let me know and I will try to supply it. Thanks in advance.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would advise against water based stains if you can deal with the smell factor of oil based. I think that you will get a better finish and not be tied into water based top coatings. I did a entertainment center with the same construction method and Minwax oil based stain and wipe-on poly in satin. I am happy with the results and the wipe on was very simple, no brushes to clean, just some old underwear to toss out afterwards. My .02 (BTW I suck at finishing) Dave:)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Great advice from Dave on both counts. Water based stains don't "pop" the grain much and will definitely raise the fibers of the wood making it much more challenging. Go with an oil based version of the minwax and the wipe on poly and you will be very pleased with the results.

As a note of warning, spread out your rags when you are done to let them dry. Oily rags in a pile can spontaneously combust and start a fire.

Jay

New User
Jay
Thanks for the advice guys. I will go with the oil based. By the way Dave if you suck at finishing I would like to see those pictures because you couldn't prove that by the pix you have put up here.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It's all lighting and Photoshop editing:lol: :lol: :lol:

My finishing skills are getting better, but my biggest problem, and the best piece of advise I can give on finishing is don't rush the finish. I am always so anxious to be done with a project that I tend to take short cuts, or chose the finishing method that will be done the quickest. Hence, you don't see me using BLO or real Tung oil very often. I like a Danish oil, because the piece can be handled in around an hour, and spray lacquer or shellac, because you can apply many coats in one evening a half an hour to 45 minutes apart.

Dave:)

Jay

New User
Jay
Well I now have pictures of the finished night stand to prove it really does exist. I am only posting a couple here to save on space but if you have time please look in my gallery and take a closer look. I would appreciate any constructive criticism anyone may have. As most of you know I am new to woodworking and this is one way that I can improve my work.
IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Jay

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Jay,

Nice work, that came out great. Were you working from plans or did you come up with the design? I am curious how you joined the top to the base, will your method allow for wood movement?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Looks great. Finish came out great, what did you end up using. Your thru M&Ts look as tight as the night is long. Proportions are excellent. The only thing is could see improvement in is the drawer fit....and that is a BIG GIANT P.I.T.A. to get exactly right, so you did very good.

Is the wife happy...if so, then that is all that matters. 'Cause if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy.

Great job!

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
If you're gonna turn out pieces like that you gotta give up the "beginner" thing. That looks very nice to me.

Bet mama's proud!...and probably ready for another project, huh? Good work. :)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi Jay,

The nightstand looks great. I did a very similar build for my daughter, but I got cheap and used a lot of poplar as well as oak (top and drawer front). I think that I like your finish better. (You can see my version in my gallery.)

Again. Your finish seems to have turned out very, very nice.

Good Job!!!

Wayne

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Hello Jay, Nice job! it looks really good and I bet your wife is happy too. I'm with Chuck, you can't claim the beginner handicap any more, you're sandbagging.

Jay

New User
Jay
Steve D said:
Jay,

Nice work, that came out great. Were you working from plans or did you come up with the design? I am curious how you joined the top to the base, will your method allow for wood movement?

I used a plan don't remember where I got it right now but I can look at the plans again and let you know. The top is fastened with a cleat screwed to the side and the top. The shank holes allow for some movement according to the plans.

Jay

New User
Jay
DaveO said:
Looks great. Finish came out great, what did you end up using. Your thru M&Ts look as tight as the night is long. Proportions are excellent. The only thing is could see improvement in is the drawer fit....and that is a BIG GIANT P.I.T.A. to get exactly right, so you did very good.

Is the wife happy...if so, then that is all that matters. 'Cause if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy.

Great job!

Dave,
You are definitely right the drawer face got out of proportion somehow. I don't really know where it happened. Probably on the table saw although I thought it was still square when it came off. Oh, I did take your advice on the finish. I used an Olympic oil based "Early American" stain two coats and then messed up and got regular poly instead of the wipe on poly. That hurt latter when I got impatient and didn't lay it flat and poly one side at a time. Had some run at the top of the legs. Thanks for all the advice on the finish.

Jay

Jay

Last edited:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Jay, great job on the night stand.:icon_thum That turned out really nice. Which are you going to tackle next.......the head board, dresser with matching mirror, or the chest of drawers?

You can be proud of that piece, it looks great.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
You might have been a beginner when you started this project, but you ain't no more! :icon_thum It's amazing to me what you learn each step of the way on a project (at least it seems that way to me, but I've got a LOT to learn!).

The stock selection on that drawer face is great - I like the way the grain looks there. Only thing that caught my eye with regard to constructive criticism is the grain orientation in the legs. IMHO, the grain looks better on the sides of the legs... here:

IMG_0099.JPG

I think I might have put those faces to the front, and put the flat-sawn faces out to the sides. Looks great, though... looks like it'll last 100+ years, and that's what it's all about!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I agree with DaveO on all counts. Looks great! What kind of slide mechanism or guides did you use? You happy with them?

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Beginer my !#$%$^. Looks really good. Whats next on Mama's list???

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I agree, this man ain't no beginner. That is beautiful work. Woodworking is like anything else we do, the more we work at it the more we learn. Some of you may remember the 10 drawer chest I made before christmas. I had a difficult time with the drawers fitting properly. I am making a nightstand from that same pattern and boy am I looking close at the construction.
Again, beautiful work. When I get ready to make something with my red oak I would like to come back and ask for suggestions. I will never remember. Question, can you purchase oak plywood that will have a closed grain as you see in the legs of the nightstand?

Jay

New User
Jay
insomniac said:
You might have been a beginner when you started this project, but you ain't no more! :icon_thum It's amazing to me what you learn each step of the way on a project (at least it seems that way to me, but I've got a LOT to learn!).

The stock selection on that drawer face is great - I like the way the grain looks there. Only thing that caught my eye with regard to constructive criticism is the grain orientation in the legs. IMHO, the grain looks better on the sides of the legs... here:

IMG_0099.JPG

I think I might have put those faces to the front, and put the flat-sawn faces out to the sides. Looks great, though... looks like it'll last 100+ years, and that's what it's all about!

Insomniac I have to say that now that you mention it you are right. I just looked back at the pictures and it would have been a much better fit. That is why I put this up here I am learning something from all your posts. Thank you.

Jay

Jay

New User
Jay
Travis Porter said:
I agree with DaveO on all counts. Looks great! What kind of slide mechanism or guides did you use? You happy with them?

Travis the slides are just rabbeted cleats that I really messed up. They still worked however and since it wasn't something people would see I used them anyway. I just waxed them and the contacting portions of the drawer and it seems to work well so far.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS