Nicholson - English Workbench Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

plcrawfo

Philip
User
Hi all!

Although I'm about one third into my workbench build, I thought I would take a few pictures and post em' here.

After working for a few years on one of the oak slabs from Scott Smiths Roubo slab event, I've been itching for a longer, little wider bench - so I decided to build the slightly less popular english/nicholson bench.

I started with about 175 BF of SYP, most from Jack (saw4you) and a little from the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville. Most of the stuff from Jack will be legs and aprons, and the wood from the Hardwood Store will make up the top (since it's a little straighter grained and harder).

I started with the legs - mortise and tenon, each stretcher double-drawbored.

Bench - Legs in Waiting.jpg

Then onto clamping up and flattening the aprons:

Bench - Apron Clamp Up.jpg

One face flat with No. 5 and No. 7 (on the shelf below):

Apron - Flattened Up.jpg

And with both inside apron faces flat...a test fit!

Workbench - Test Fit Side View.jpg

From the end:

Bench - End View Test Fit.jpg

I have a little trimming to do on the half lap faces on the legs, but otherwise, it's not a bad fit. However, after flattening each inside apron face by hand....and staring down the barrel of making the other sides parallel...well, the wife gave in and we rode to Lowes to pick up my new Dewalt 735 (on clearance!). The planer makes the second power tool, after my bandsaw. Hopefully I'll have more progress to share after the Thanksgiving weekend.

Philip

llucas

luke
Senior User
That is gonna be great!...I just love big heavy stuff...as long as someone else does the lifting. I REALLY like the simple yet solid construction....looking forward to seeing more of the build.

plcrawfo

Philip
User
About 2 months later I have a few updates on the bench build. It's been a while, but holidays, cleaning out the garage, and work have taken up too much time.

Since the test fit I was able to surface the two aprons and then glue, screw, and miller dowel them in place. I glued about the bottom two inches, and "wallered" out the pilot holes for the screws to (hopefully) accommodate seasonal movement. I then glued in "shelves" on the interior bottom halves of the aprons to create a ledger for the bearers to rest on. I Added the bearers by gluing them to the ledger and miller doweling them through the aprons. The result looks like this (back of bench)

I took a long time to decide how to attach the end-cap that will support and absorb the wagon vise screw. I thought about using angle brackets like the Schwarz, but I wanted a cleaner install. I also thought about using the miller dowels again, but wasn't sure if they could take the forces. I opted to use the Lee Valley bench bolts (I used them on a bed a few years ago). I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

I still have one more bearer to install between the end-cap and legs, but this one will need to accommodate the wagon vise, so I have a little more mock-up to do before installing. Although the end-cap looks bowed in the picture above, it's just a little fish-eye effect.

The top is going to be split, and since the wagon vise will be on the front half, I went ahead and glued up the rear "slab." The next two pics have the glued up rear slab, and the front two boards are just sitting together.

Next will be making the cut-out for the wagon vise, building that, and gluing up the front slab: then onto the leg vise and the shelf below!

plcrawfo

Philip
User
Re: Nicholson - English Workbench Build - Just About Finished

Today I just about finished my workbench (except for the shelf below). Over the past few weeks I glued and screwed the top to the base. Flipping the bench on it's side to plane the front edge of the top flush was a feat (heavy). I finished up the wagon vise and put the face vise together. Oh, I also picked up some nice hold-fasts from Amos Tucker, featured in the pictures. The face vise is made of a nice leftover of 8/4 cherry from a bed project a couple years ago.

Today I was able to drill the dog holes and make the "gap fillers" that act as planing stops when flipped upside down (I got the idea from Bob Rozaieski's build).

I flattened the top and then used adhesive backed cork on the apron and the leg vise face to improve the grip. I think this was a little easier than sourcing leather and gluing it up...grips great.

Enjoy the pictures!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Great project! Your craftsmanship really shows and that bench is very stout. Let us know how you like working with it.

Scott

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

Beautiful bench Phillip, and it looks incredibly sturdy. I hope it is now sitting in it's final resting place, and you won't have to move it any time soon. :wink_smil

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Where does an 800 pound bench sit?

Anywhere it wants to! (Since it can't be moved by one person!) :)

That is a GREAT looking bench and I think it will give you years of wonderful service!

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member

Great looking bench and sturdy too. Glad to see I am not the only sawdust-maker in this neck of the woods.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Your bench looks amazing! Great sturdy frame. And from the side it looks like a sound hunk of tree :).
Thanks for posting!
Salem

Rick M

New User
Rick
I've always thought those Nicholson benches looked really beefy, in design if not in sheer mass (compared to some Roubo's). I can't imagine it flexing even a millimeter when planing.

You mentioned the space fillers flip upside down to become planing stops, a great idea, are they spinning on axles or just setting there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS