Nice DELTA RAS on CLT Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I don't think they are any more dangerous than miter saws for cut-off operations.

now dadoing and ripping that's a different story.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Well, I would argue that they are most dangerous than a miter saw for x-cutting: the saws have a tendency to self-feed - which requires proper blade selection and technique; the saws have a long throw inviting users to put their hands in the wrong place and the saws tend to have a largely unguarded blade (compared to mitersaws that all seem to have self-retracting shrouds now).

Probably about as dangerous as table saws and for similar reasons, except swap "self-feed" for "kickback".

-Mark

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Why do RAS always concern me? Sometimes I want one, but then other times it seems a bit dangerous.

Aw shoot - now look at what you have done. Next we will have a hijacked thread on the pro's and con's of the RAS. Well, so be it. I am not a zealot for either one and I have both and a bandsaw. Each one has their merits and their weaknesses. In general, I use each one for its strong points and avoid using them for anything that makes me nervous. Over-confidence is always iffy, but being smart about using tools is hardly ever iffy.

This kind of remnids me of the old line about "guns don't kill people, people kill people." Well, a RAS never went out of its way to do something stupid, only the operator was stupid. I am missing 1/8" of the tip of my left index finger for doing something stupid on a RAS, :BangHead: so I can testify with some bitterly won experience to the truth of what I say.

If you are going to have one and only saw, I suggest that the RAS is the most versatile. It can do things a chop saw and/or a table saw cannot do, while it can do all the things they can, and then some. With that, I am glad I have the luxury of not having to depend on it for everything as I used to do. Frankly, there were times it was downright scary using it and I am glad not to depend on it as much anymore.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
at risk of be escalated beyond my level 1 status (slight dig at new modifications in process, keep up the hard work Steve!)

i didn't mean to start a war on RAS perils or lack there of, just saw a pretty machine at a great price and thought i'd pass the info along.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I think it's a reat machine at a great price, and the reason that most people don't have one is due to lack of space, period. they are useful and probably less dangerous than the heaters that most of us use in our garage:mrgreen:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors