Next project

Richo B

New User
Richo
So I have decided on the next item I will tackle. As I mentioned in another post about re-purposing something, this new item will do that job so the re-purposed item can go back to its original placement. I'm going to try to make a box with drawers based on the tea chest featured in Michael Pekovich's book "The Why & How of Woodworking". I bought the book last December and really enjoy reading it and I appreciate his style of design.

Tea chest from book.jpg

This is featured on page 22 at the beginning of the Design chapter and later in more detail on pages 140-143. Mine won't look exactly like his but I'll still give him all the credit for the inspiration and most of the design. I won't include a kumiko which appears to be his signature and probably too difficult to attempt for this project. I'd have better luck with marquetry and I probably won't do that either. I will do something for the slide panel but haven't thought that far ahead yet.

Has anyone else attempted this project? I'd be interested to see your results.

I've already designed the case I'll make and the measurements that will fit my needs so that my box will not be as rectangular but more square in appearance. But it will still have the four main drawers, the sliding panel and the large lower drawer. Also his appears to be oak or some exotic wood and mine will be working off poplar that is left over from the puzzle cabinet and other projects. Functional projects rather than show is the way I go.

Richo B

New User
Richo
I'm spending today doing a very important thing - making sure I have enough and the right size of wood before going forward in this project. My plan was to use only wood that I already have in the house to try to make use of it. But I also don't want to go full into this without having the right pieces available. I've been working the past week (at my conservation lab) so I haven't started doing any isolation-specific hobby/DIY at home work yet . If there comes a time when I can't access a hardware store I'd like to be sure I have all the right wood here with me. In my painting hobby I have plenty of paper, paints and brushes. I do have the option of modifying Pekovich's design so I won't need as much wood and still get what I want out of it.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good luck, and I hope to see your progress. The closest thing that I have done to this project would be this
74D4E8A3-E342-4B5F-A9EB-9C030C4964E8.jpeg

however, I hope to do some pieces of that nature in the near future.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I'm spending today doing a very important thing - making sure I have enough and the right size of wood before going forward in this project. My plan was to use only wood that I already have in the house to try to make use of it. But I also don't want to go full into this without having the right pieces available. I've been working the past week (at my conservation lab) so I haven't started doing any isolation-specific hobby/DIY at home work yet . If there comes a time when I can't access a hardware store I'd like to be sure I have all the right wood here with me. In my painting hobby I have plenty of paper, paints and brushes. I do have the option of modifying Pekovich's design so I won't need as much wood and still get what I want out of it.
Richo,

Better make sure you have the wood on hand before you start. I tried to get on Precision Molding's website to see if they were open and their website link takes you to a WordPress page. I don't know if they're closed or not. Hopefully it's just a website problem.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Good luck, and I hope to see your progress. The closest thing that I have done to this project would be this
View attachment 192305
however, I hope to do some pieces of that nature in the near future.

That is a beautiful piece! Is the top section a drawer or a lid that pulls up and over, or something else? How did you do the drawer pulls. Perhaps you have a thread already devoted to this that you can refer me to.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Richo,

Better make sure you have the wood on hand before you start. I tried to get on Precision Molding's website to see if they were open and their website link takes you to a WordPress page. I don't know if they're closed or not. Hopefully it's just a website problem.
I wonder if they would close because they're primary job is to make crates for Bosch and the Bosch plant is closing for a while after having an employee positive with COVID-19. Since they are under new management now they may indeed shut it down for a while. Hatteras Yachts also shut down for a while.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is a beautiful piece! Is the top section a drawer or a lid that pulls up and over, or something else? How did you do the drawer pulls. Perhaps you have a thread already devoted to this that you can refer me to.
The top section is a lid that you lift by the pulls. The pulls are carved from ebony and I made dowels to fasten them into place. This piece was built in 2009 and is still solid today. My better half enjoys it every day.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I wonder if they would close because they're primary job is to make crates for Bosch and the Bosch plant is closing for a while after having an employee positive with COVID-19. Since they are under new management now they may indeed shut it down for a while. Hatteras Yachts also shut down for a while.
Maybe so, but why would their website be off the net?

Richo B

New User
Richo
Maybe so, but why would their website be off the net?
It appears they no longer even have a website address. They are however, very active on Facebook. According to a post from yesterday, they are closed on Saturdays until the pandemic is over but are open Monday through Friday 8-5 as usual. So it looks like you'll have to follow them on Facebook to keep up with their news. They have been posting often. They are listed as Precision Molding and Woodworks, Inc.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
It appears they no longer even have a website address. They are however, very active on Facebook. According to a post from yesterday, they are closed on Saturdays until the pandemic is over but are open Monday through Friday 8-5 as usual. So it looks like you'll have to follow them on Facebook to keep up with their news. They have been posting often. They are listed as Precision Molding and Woodworks, Inc.
That's strange, but Monday-Friday is good enough for me.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS