Newly Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
ERF_0379_Entry_Bench_E3.jpg
QS white oak, Watco Danish oil & paste wax finish. From a Woodsmith plan.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ed, that design is simple, sturdy looking and elegantly executed. Great job!

llucas

luke
Senior User
Ed
That is simply terrific. I love the scale and masculine nature while maintaining elegance. I too like the sculpted seats. Thanks for sharing

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I really like that piece. Simple and sturdy but with a lot of elegant touches, like the sculpted seats and curves on the stretchers, etc.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Newly Completed - through tenons?

I too like this a lot.

Are those 'real' through tenons on the seat? If so, they look great.
Through tenons always seem like a fine idea, but I am not certain I can get them to look like that.
Any hints for me? I have never tried them.

Henry

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member

How did you finish it? Love that color

I also like how the rays on the lower stretcher flow :thumbs_up

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User

Henry,
They are real through and wedged tenons. I too was apprehensive about getting them positioned and sized correctly, but all went well. First, the Woodsmith plan (Issue 198) offered terrific detail on establishing the positions and setting temporary hardwood pieces around each tenon to serve as routing templates. Having experienced some trouble with double stick tape, I instead used the masking tape with thin cyanoacrylate method of attaching thetemplate pieces (highly recommended!)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ub6PsY4cgwg
A one-inch hole was drilled first to hog out the waste. With a top-bearing-guided flush trim router bit, the mortise was trimmed about three quarters of the way through from the bottom (where the template pieces were attached). With that done, the mortises were again routed form the other side with a bottom-bearing flush trim bit. The wall created by the first stage of routing (from the bottom) served as the bottom bearing guide. The corners were then cleaned up with a very sharp chisel.

The construction is quite robust.

Eddiagram.jpg

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User

Thank you.
The color is owed to the quarter-sawn white oak. The finish is simply three applications of Watco Danish oil(neutral). The final coat was wet sanded with 600-grit wet-dry paper. A thin coatof Liberon neutral wax was applied last. Foolproof, which suits me fine.

Ed

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member

Great looking piece Ed. Like Bill I would also like to know how you sculpted the seats

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User

At the risk of making this a Woodsmith commercial, their plan detailed a time-consuming, but effective means of scooping the seats. Three simple fixtures were needed — two outriggers and a router sled. Back and forth, side to side, Fourish hours, 1/32” at time. With the router work done, clean up with a card scraper was relatively easy.

ERF_0298_Entry_Bench_E1.jpg

Ed

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member

Nice job, Ed. Good looking craftsmanship, and the material selection is spot on.:thumbs_up

Matt

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member

I had forgotten about that technique Ed.......thankyou

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams

At the risk of making this a Woodsmith commercial, their plan detailed a time-consuming, but effective means of scooping the seats. Three simple fixtures were needed — two outriggers and a router sled. Back and forth, side to side, Fourish hours, 1/32” at time. With the router work done, clean up with a card scraper was relatively easy.

View attachment 20826

Ed

Could this also be accomplished with an 18 to 20" bandsaw? I'm looking for an excuse to buy one :).

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member

Kent, since the seat depth is 16" (see the drawing), your new bandsaw would need a depth of cut equal to that! :icon_thum

The POWERMATIC[SUP]®[/SUP] PM2415B 24 INCH BANDSAW would get you close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS