Newest Commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi everyone
As most of you know, last year I decided to try something new and set up a page on CustomMade .com. Although I have gotten a few small commissions from this, I wondered if it was worth the cost to continue. Well it has paid off with my best commission yet, so it looks like I will renew for another year. This is the prototype of a custom knife block that I made for a client that is having me make 40 of these to give to their customers for Christmas. The client sent me the specs of all the knives and an idea for the shape of the prototype and here it is.
Made from Walnut, Cherry and Maple. Quite a challenge to get everything to fit perfectly figuring the 18 degree angles involved and producing so many perfect glue lines but I whipped it with the help of different custom jigs which I will use for the mass production work. This will keep me busy for awhile!!!. Let the fun begin
knifeblockfinished001.jpg

knifeblockfinished007.jpg

knifeblockfinished013.jpg

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome work there, Mike!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I too would like to hear more detail as to how you went about it. Looks like it would be a pretty heavy and stable piece as well.

Wayne

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Very nice work!

I cant see any glue lines parallel to the knife slots, and the grain lines seem uninterrupted across the knife slot planes.

So I give up, how did you mill the knife slots? If they are flat-milled and then glued up, then I think you are entitled to claim perfection on the glue lines!

C.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Thanks for the comments guys. When I go into full scale production I will post some pics of the jigs that I had to make for these blocks. Lots of precision cuts will have to be made so jigs will make the difference for sure.
To C-- You don't see any glue joints where the slots are because there aren't any. Because all of the slots vary in size I made templates for where the slots are on each piece then drilled a 1/16" pilot hole to thread the scroll saw blade through to make the cuts. These sections are made from 3/4" stock. The whole block weighs in at 18lbs. The interior is solid except where the blades of the knives has been cut out. Lots of ciphering for sure

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Definitely a unique design, Mike. And congratulations on getting a nice commission. Looking forward to seeing the jigs in use. :icon_thum

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS