newbie turning question

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
From what I've heard and read the tool support should be at or "just below" the center of the workpiece.
Since the center is always fixed on a given lathe, why is the height of the support adjustable?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks
Steve

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
lathe tools are different thicknesses and individual tools are presented at different angles depending on the cut you are trying to achieve.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
For shear scaping the tool rest is MUCH lower. Perhaps an inch or more below center, it just doesn't work right if at center height.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Fred and Bill- thanks

I thought it might be the difference in tools and the "angle of approach"
Most everything I've done is with the roughing gouge or the skew.
I'm still feeling my way and should probably get some more instruction before my bad habits become ingrained!

Thanks again

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Join a turning club. There are 7 AAW clubs in NC. You are surely close to one of them. Clubs in Greensboro, Hickory, Concord, Raleigh, Charlotte. Any $ spent on dues or travel will be re-paid in used tool purchases or wood, demos, mentoring, etc. Have fun! Turning is a big sickness.

Last edited:

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
My wife and I are looking to take one of Chesspy's chess set making classes. Maybe you and one other can get together and take his class sometime in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors