Newbie to the Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stick&String

New User
Scott
I’m new to the forum and have just dabbled in woodworking but the more I make the more I want to make more. I’m currently interested in making a long bow, a small boat, and a stock for a Kentucky long rifle out of curly maple or some other wood like it.

Is there a way to know if a tree is curly before you cut it down? I have heard that the bark is wavy but how can I be sure w/o cutting it down?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the forum Scott. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Don't have an answer for you on the curly tree thing, but maybe someone will chime in on that. :icon_thum

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
Hi Scott..and welcome to the group.Those are some pretty tough projects for just having "dabbled" in woodworking.Im not sure of the answer but I wish you the best of luck.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hi Scott...Welcome to the NCWW virtual sawdust pile. Glad you like to dabble. FYI..We love pictures.

Stick&String

New User
Scott
Hi Scott...Welcome to the North Carolina Woodworker virtual sawdust pile. Glad you like to dabble. FYI..We love pictures.

I Guess after looking at what others are doing I considered my work to be dabbling.
IMAG0061.jpg
IMAG0068.jpg
IMAG0083.jpg
IMAG0084.jpg
IMAG0085.jpg

recent works- wood burning on canoe paddles, carving of trinity knot, and my brother in law has a lathe that I spun a few calls on.

It's nothing compared to what I have seen on here. you guys do great work!

M

McRabbet

Welcome to our sawdust (and chip) pile, Scott -- glad you've found us and we'll look forward to your participation.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Scott!:icon_thum

Also. Thanks for posting the pics of some of your work so early after joining. Relief carving such as your always has intrigued me. Never tried though.

Enjoy yourself around here, post often and stay safe around those power tools and carving knives!

Wayne

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Wow, that is some very impressive dabbling!!!! Can't wait to see what happens when you really apply yourself! ;)

It's great to have you Scott. Glad you found us, welcome aboard!

Travis

botebum

New User
Doug
Hi Scott and wecome!
Have you decided on a boat design to build yet? PM me and I can direct you to some great links and some great people that might help you choose the right boat for your intended purpose.

Doug

gator

George
Corporate Member
Welcome Scott

Glad you found us. Good to have another Oxfordite around. We show 18 in the county and 11 in Oxford. If the shop wasn't such a mess right now I'd invite you to stop by. But that aside, stop by anytime anyway.

George

owen299

New User
Dan Bowen
Great to have ya here. I may be able to help you out on the long bow project. I made an English Lowbow years ago. I think I have an ash bow stave standing in the corner of my dads garage. its a bark on stave thats about 10 yrs dry. May be brittle but ,I don't know, it should be fine. If I can find it your welcome to it. Send me a P M . I am in and around Oxford everyday for "Meals on Wheels"

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Hello and welcome!

Nice work there.

I have done some bows and a small boat or two, but not a rifle stock. Ash would be a great choice for a bow; I would jump on Dan's offer if I were you. What sort of small boat are you thinking of building?

Stick&String

New User
Scott
Hello and welcome!

Nice work there.

I have done some bows and a small boat or two, but not a rifle stock. Ash would be a great choice for a bow; I would jump on Dan's offer if I were you. What sort of small boat are you thinking of building?

I was thinking of a Sneak Boat/Box like the one below. Maybe 10-12 feet and plywood glassed and camo painted. i have done a little fiberglass work in the past but could stand to get better.

This is not my boat!! just the one I want to build
duck6Large.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS