Newbie from Raleigh

ratneri

New User
ilya
I tried to piggy back on another thread and accidentally broke the rules. Many apologies, I promise I'm *mostly a rule follower :)

A newbie from Raleigh, trying to build up a modest half-one-car-garage shop, and fashion some objects out of wood. Current project is a silverware divider for one of our drawers. Pretty straight forward, but it's amazing how hard it is to measure everything right when you start routing dados into everything!

By day I'm a software developer, who just moved to Raleigh about a year ago, and has a kid on the way (6 weeks yesterday).

Great to be here.

Best,
ilya

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard! Yes, woodworking can be tedious, you're off by a 1/16" and all of a sudden nothing fits anymore. It's like a misplaced semicolon when writing code. BTW, here is a good video on making an organizer, especially the part about cutting curves into the divider slots.

ratneri

New User
ilya
Welcome aboard! Yes, woodworking can be tedious, you're off by a 1/16" and all of a sudden nothing fits anymore. It's like a misplaced semicolon when writing code. BTW, here is a good video on making an organizer, especially the part about cutting curves into the divider slots.

Thanks! I've watched his videos before, have never seen this one. He's real down-to-earth. He's got a few legs up on me in tools :D I basically just used a chop saw, router and jig. My father-in-law just gave me his old craftsman table saw, and now I wish I had set it up for resawing. I just used store bought poplar. I have a jigsaw, so might attempt the curves.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS