New Yankee Workshop DOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
:rotflm:The wording of the some of the responses in this thread leads me to a more general question. Define woodworking. What is the difference between carpenters and sawyers and cabinetmakers and finish carpenters and scroll sawyers and furniture makers and turners and carvers and luthiers and toy makers and ........ etc. Which are wood workers and which are not?

Just in case I am being facetious or sarcastic or something forget which is which

Bryan S

Bryan
I hate to see it end. In his interview with Wood magazine he did mention loosing one of their sponsors. His appeal to me was an average guy doing what he liked to do and while I never met him he does strike me as being what you see on the show is who he is.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
:rotflm:The wording of the some of the responses in this thread leads me to a more general question. Define woodworking. What is the difference between carpenters and sawyers and cabinetmakers and finish carpenters and scroll sawyers and furniture makers and turners and carvers and luthiers and toy makers and ........ etc. Which are wood workers and which are not?

Just in case I am being facetious or sarcastic or something forget which is which

I couldn't agree with you more Steve. I think wood working is, basically, working with wood. If you make stuff out of wood, you are a woodworker. For my job, I do a lot of carpentry, whether it's framing or finish carpentry, it's still cutting wood and nailing the pieces together to make something (in this case a house). :rotflm: Is it what I consider fine woodworking? Absolutely not, but I still consider it woodworking. Fine woodworking, to me, is making something unique, or one of a kind out of wood. Framing a house or putting in crown molding is not fine woodworking to me, but I definitely respect anyone who is good at it.

I vaguely remember watching NYW when I was a kid, before I understood what he was doing. I've lived in Wilmington for 11 years now and (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't EVER see NYW or WWS on tv down here, and that's a crying shame. I did see both of them back to back one day a few years ago and I was like that little kid again. :rolleyes: Not necessarily because I thought Norm was making something "artistic" or "cutting edge", but it sure was nice to see someone doing woodworking on tv. As has been discussed before on here, woodworking is probably on the way out as far as a main-stream hobby. I've heard that a lot of schools don't offer shop class anymore and that is so sad to me. :tinysmile_cry_t:

Whatever you think about Norm, you're probably right. I just wish there were woodworking shows on tv on a regular basis. I will miss his show, not because I think he is a profound artist, but because it got a lot of people interested in woodworking. Thank you Norm. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I hate to see this too but after 21 years I would be losing my mind! Imagine how tedious it must be to film those shows and how much pressure he was under to balance what the sponsors, Brand New Woodworker, Joe Woodworker, Expert Woodworker, Hypercritical Woodworker, Producers, etc wanted? While Norm opens himself up to criticism with his glue/biscquit/tack with a brad nailer approach on just about every project, you have to admit he was successful. I for one would not be sitting here typing this message and dare say you would be reading this message if he and his show had not been so successful. After meeting him on the floor at the IWF (where he didn't have to acknowledge me) a few years ago he's a genuinely nice guy with all the fame he has reluctlantly drawn. I will miss his show. Hope someone will fill the void.

Donna Wynne

New User
Donna
Boo hoo! I loved watching "The New Yankee Workshop." I will miss it. I hope that it will continue in syndicated reruns somewhere. Maybe DIY Network will pick up those old episodes.

I enjoyed Norm and the NYW and learned much more than from the frou-frou "Wood Works" on DIY Network (Edelman Productions), which was way above any skill level I could ever even aspire to.

Scott Phillips' "The American Woodshop" (PBS-WBGU) and "The Woodsmith Shop" (PBS) are more my speed. I love both shows and they appeal to my somewhat pedestrian skill level. These guys are good woodworkers -- but more important, they are great on-screen teachers.

Roy Underhill's "Woodwright's Shop" is more fun to watch. To me, it's more history than practicality, but it's still extremely enjoyable nonetheless. I thought it was out of production, but I was delighted to see that Roy's show was still broadcast on WUNC yesterday afternoon.

I've written WUNC asking that they add "The Woodsmith Shop" to their lineup, but their reply was they "have no plans on doing so." At least I've got a contact who DVR's the shows for me, but it surely would be great to watch it on a network I can receive.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Don't deny what good has come from Norm. More people have gotten into woodworking because of him than anyone else. He made it so that you can buy decent power tools for reasonable prices at local stores. Previously your choice was low end Skil or B&D tools at what were called home centers, any of the better tools had to be bought at lumber supply stores or ones that catered to professionals which charged exhorbitant prices.

He made woodworking accessible to the common man. That being said, I used to enjoy his show but haven't watched him for years because I've been seeking better learning opportunities.

As far as Russ Morash and TOH goes, I originally thought that it was a good idea, but after buying two houses that had "handy" people working on them I'm not so sure. I was told that people I bought my house from took alot of classes at Lowes and did alot of there own work. It shows and I've been redoing it for 4 years. I bought the house when it was 10 years old and have been amazed at how bad people can screw things up.

Anyway, good luck to Norm .

Glennbear

Glenn
I agree with most folks in this thread that Norm has provided a valuable contribution to the world of woodworking. As Steve pointed out, working with wood is working with wood period. From my own perspective during the early years of the show I remember remarking "Sure, if I had all those fancy machines I could make stuff like that". Here we are in 2009 and I have been blessed to obtain those "fancy machines" over the past couple years and I still can't "make stuff like that" :gar-La;

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Just thoroughly enjoyed watching NYW, WWS and TOH on PBS this afternoon. Norm made a Turkey Table, very nice and informing. I hope they at least keep showing reruns for those of us who haven't seen many episodes. Then Roy made a Whirly Gig. :gar-La; Very nice!

I really enjoyed This Old House too. Haven't seen that show in a WHILE and it is very interesting now that I do that for a living. Good job PBS! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

D Sikes

New User
Derek
That's too bad, I don't know about you all, but I'd rather watch a bad woodworking show over a good scrapbooking or one stroke painting show anyday!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That's too bad, I don't know about you all, but I'd rather watch a bad woodworking show over a good scrapbooking or one stroke painting show anyday!

Now, with that statement I have to agree.

I really thought as wood working popularity increased new and better programs would appear, just as new and better tools did appear.

I guess the problem is not Norm so much as the lack of any great programming on TV. What I hated most is the way so many people held (hold) him up as THE great wood worker. Lower quality work became the norm rather than the exception.

Yeah, more people got into wood working but a lower standard of quality has become accepted.

Most people haven't been educated in the finer points of furniture or art or any thing for that matter. A lot of people (present company excepted) can't tell the difference between Walmart vinyl covered chipboard furniture and hand built solid walnut furniture. Or at least they want to pay the same price.

In my mind that should be one of the higher purposes of TV, to educate, not to further dumb down.

After all they have seen that guy on TV make a bed, chair, cabinet or whatever in only 30 minutes so it can't cost THAT much! :eek:

I may not be able to make fine furniture, but I know it when I see it, and I know its value. So do my kids.

nelsone

New User
Ed
In my mind that should be one of the higher purposes of TV, to educate, not to further dumb down.

Mike, I like your sentiment, but..... Maybe you should see about becoming a TV Exec, because they really aren't coming up with much other than mind numbing idiocy!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
TV, like most all mass media, has to appeal to the lowest common denominator to make a profit. Even the cable channels like HGTV have to do it to a degree. It is unfortunate.

gritz

New User
Robert
I know Norm and all the TOH crew. They used to come to Atlanta on well paid personal appearance home-show gigs for a lumber supplier there. My connection was as a Saturday radio talk-show personality who would have them on as guests to hype those appearances.

In private conversations over drinks or meals they all expressed awe about how the popularity of both shows made them "famous" and thrust their work into the public eye for debate and criticism.

At base, their initial approach was designed to showcase the skills and abilities of old time "yankee" carpenters who relied more on tradition and yankee ingenuity than cash or flash. They wanted to hark back to a time when everything except labor was expensive and in limited supply. I think that meant that their approach would, by definition, not be the same as what you would see in FWW.

Some folks have 15 minutes...TOH and NYW were part of a shoestring start-up of a new concept which rode the DIY wave for over 15 years. They all published, endorsed, or otherwise cashed out and made their fortunes. They also paid a price for it in their personal lives.

honey-do Kreg

New User
Kreg
I really loved watching the show and have learned a lot from watching. yes most of us do not have a huge shop with the major tools that norm had. but with the tools I have was able to learn new ideas. etc.

his kitchen 9 part eposides was pretty good, i even bought the dvd set of it. and I was able to meet norm 3 years ago which was a trill.

but as well all know people retire and shows go away, and new ones come on the air. we will see what happens next.:eusa_danc

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I'm certainly going to miss NYW. As people have noted he made working accessible to everyone and the show was a great source of knowledge and inspiration for those of us in the beginning and intermediate skill levels.

I'll also note that his line "And remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — safety glasses." Has gone through my head many times when I just had to make "one quick cut" and considered not hunting up my glasses or push stick....... I've often found myself thinking "WWND?".

So I'll just close with this: "Thanks Norm! Best of Luck! You'll be missed!

Travis

brent innc

New User
Brent
At least these reality shows are the better. They do not show the bad side of being human in competition with others. Learned quite a number of things from Norm, also liked watching him improve his work also. He did show some things built that I never would have given a second thought to.
Hey, even Scott Philips had his good/bad shows.
Roy has his and his reality is that blood and sweat go along with any kind of woodworking.

Just hope WGBH keeps allowing the plans and such to continue on.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Whatever happened to "The Router Workshop"? I remember seeing it on PBS stations a couple years ago & then it was gone. He had some interesting projects on there & I thought he did a great deal with just a router & table. Of course, he had a band saw occasionally to back him up, but 80-90% of his work was done with just a router.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
It comes and goes. It used to be on the woodworkingchannel web site some, but I don't know if that site is even up anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS