New workbench

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Sorry to hear about your job Chris. I guess you predicted the future when we met at your mill about 4-5 yrs ago. Good to hear you have the time to get to projects. Looking at anything else around the area, more Gov. work? It's weird, budget cuts have tons of hiring freezes. We have several unfilled spots at our work and it seems they are starting to fill them with military b/c we can't afford civilians. Some jobs just arn't suited for uniform people, no continuity. Well I hope to be by to see you sometime. Oh, and the bench looks phenomenal already:icon_thum.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
Thanks Zach, haven't looked for anything else. I've put so much time into the mill operation and built 3 buildings now supporting it I'm going to run with that and enjoy it. I saw the writing on the walls 4 years ago, and have been preparing for just this scenario. Couldn't be happier.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Well I am glad you are happy and have a plan that seems to be flourishing. It's inspiring to see someone succeed at one of their passions. Hope to run into you again soon.

Thanks Zach, haven't looked for anything else. I've put so much time into the mill operation and built 3 buildings now supporting it I'm going to run with that and enjoy it. I saw the writing on the walls 4 years ago, and have been preparing for just this scenario. Couldn't be happier.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Chris, that is going to be a great looking bench! Looking forward to seeing the final product. Will your Festool Planer be sufficient to level the bench top? While I do not own the 850, I have heard some very good things about it.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
Donn, I love the 850. I didn't need it on the bench top except for the center walnut strip I put in since it was the same thickness as all the other boards before planing. I glued up the 2 halves, planed them, then ran them through the wide belt sander then glued them together with a walnut strip in the middle. I used the 850 to knock down the center strip then finished it with a hand plane. Came out great.

here is the update...last coat of oil for the top is on, drawer slides installed, drawer boxes built and I had dead space behind the drawer slides, so I built a small bookshelf type enclosure with shelf pins for an adjustable shelf. I'll most likely put glue bottles and glue rollers in there, that's why I did the peg board to hang a few glue tools on. The next couple of days with time will be the cutting board slot track system, finish the base with oil, then wire it for the 2 receptacles I'm putting in and then walnut slats for the bottom shelfs on each side of the drawers.

I put a little too much into this one but it's fun IMG_0101.JPGIMG_0103.JPGIMG_0104.JPGIMG_0105.JPG

Now if I can figure out how to rotate a picture when inserting it in the reply without uploading to the gal.....Ethan?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That looks GREAT Chris!

I just don't understand why you are putting so much work into the bench you are giving me?
I am VERY happy with something simple....:rotflm:

I really like the pegboard / shelf space - having things close by is important!

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
The workbench is done. I ripped out all the outlining cabinets to get ready to build new ones to accommodate additional tools. This bench should work out nicely for what I do

IMG_0125.JPGIMG_0122.JPGIMG_0121.JPG

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
for what I use it for, usually just to hold a small piece. I'll be drilling bench dog holes and use dog clamps to hold pieces. I recessed the vise so I can lay up large projects so it won't hit the vise, and it has a popup bench dog stop

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
Looks nice. I like the idea of the outlets in the bench rails. I never seem to be able to reach the ones in the wall.

-NCGrimbo

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
. . . . . This bench should work out nicely for what I do

Chris, you just nailed the most important factor for any bench. That's why I'm a huge proponent of every woodworker building their own bench, after they have sufficient experience to know what they need, and don't need. For me, that came after more than 20 years into the craft.

Great looking bench, BTW. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS