New woodworker

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquamann

New User
Mark
It was great finding this site and you fine group of knowledgable woodworking folks. I'm just getting started in woodworking and have begun collecting tools like a thickness planer, scroll saw, table saw, miter saw, sander, etc... My work is quite utilitarian and my next project will be making a Farmhouse Bed and then a shed. I plan on making furniture and cabinets mostly. I live in Hubert, NC but am new to the area. It's been a challenge finding wood so I hope to find good sources here.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Mark!
Glad you found us - you will likely have lots of questions since you are just getting started - you will find a wealth of knowledge here on the site and lots of GREAT people with experience to answer questions.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum Mark, feel free to ask questions, start discussions and share your projects.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum Mark, you'll like it here.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Mark,

Welcome to the website. Although I am from the opposite end of the state, my daughter lives in Stella, just a few miles from you (and I'm actually there visiting her as we post). Anyhow, you have an excellent source of very good priced lumber right in your little town -- you'll find World Timber just off Hubert Blvd near the intersection of Parkerstown Road. I've been there and they have some amazing stuff. Here is a link to their website.

bash

New User
bash
Welcome Mark. I look forward to hearing about the bed build once you get it underway, and then future projects.

aquamann

New User
Mark
thank you, I ended up visiting Bill Nelson at Precision Moulding (saw a referral on another post here) in New Bern where I decided on Poplar because it is a tad less expensive and my first major project. I'll post my work on it.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Welcome to the forum. The New Bern group is meeting for lunch today if you're interested in meeting some members. I've got a separate thread in the User Announcement section if you're interested in the details.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Howdy! You'll surely meet with success here... I was a woodworker for ten years before I joined, but my skills have easily tripled in the three years since I joined. One half of my improvement is the (mostly excellent, occasionally misguided) advice, and the other half is the inspiration that I get from other members to dare to do something new. Welcome, learn a lot, post a lot, make a lot of sawdust, make some firewood, and have fun!

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Welcome. Be sure to go to World Timber. They always have a bin of nice cutoffs for the beginner, as well as a huge stock of all kinds of lumber.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Eventually you'll find buying direct from the sawmill is the best way to go.

For now, I would stick to kiln dried lumber. Locate a hardwood/plywood supplier and stick to kiln dried wood.

One of the best I know of is Steve Wall Lumber in Mayodan, but I see that's quite a drive for you.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome to our sawdust pile Mark. Your close there to a great vendor in World Timber. Thanks for joining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS