New Woodworker in the Hickory area

TracerRound

Larry
Corporate Member
I have lurked on here for about two years now and looks like I registered in 2019 but have not done an introduction post yet. If you rated a woodworker’s experience from 0 to 10 I would be at a solid 0.1. Originally from Lake County, FL and moved up to the Hickory, NC area in 2015 due to a promotion at my civilian job. I am also a Marine and have been in the Reserves for over 17 years now doing logistics and operations planning and looking forward to retiring in a few years.

I have made some plywood table/carts for some of the tools and a workbench based on plans I came across online and picked up a benchtop planner and jointer which helped me make an office table out of Red Oak from West Penn. The wife and I had our son in 2019 and daughter in 2020 so the shop time has been non-existent for a while now but we are currently designing a garage and workshop to build which was put on hold when lumber prices went up this year. Right now I have my tools in our unfinished basement but pull them outside to cut anything to keep the sawdust out of the house which is a pain.

I appreciate everyone’s input and experiences shared on here as it has allowed me to start learning a trade that I never experienced growing up. There are so many different aspects to woodworking and the posts on here range all over which is helping me grasp what all can be created. For right now I am sticking with my simple power tools (saws mostly) but someday I hope to branch out into hand tools, turning, scrolling or wherever else this world takes me.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Welcome, Larry. Be sure to look up Sawman101 who just celebrated his 39th (HaHa!) Birthday who lives in Newton. Good guy an a great source of knowledge. Also be sure to check out the Klingspor's Woodworking Shop store there in Hickory if you haven't done so yet!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome to the family Randy! You have many woodworking brethren and sisteren in the area, I live on the other side of Hickory from you, south of Newton. There are 4 clubs that have, and will be meeting again when the C19 crisis winds down.
1. The Scroll Saw Club Of The Foothills, 1st Saturday of the month @ 0930 @ Klingspors Woodworking Shop. No website, just formed at the beginning of 2020.
2. NC Woodturners on the 2nd(?) Saturday @1000. North Carolina Woodturners – A member of the American Association of Woodturners (ncwoodturners.com)
3. Western Piedmont Woodcrafters on the 4th Saturday @0930. Western Piedmont Woodcrafters
4. Catawba Valley Woodcarvers. I don't know their meeting time, but it's a weekday evening. Catawba Valley Woodcarvers Club (webs.com)
All of the clubs welcome you to visit them, and also become a member, if you wish.
Schedule of all club meetings posted inside the door at Klingspors. All clubs have suspended their meetings until the governor issues his new edict proclaiming it is once again safe to come out of the cellar.
Have a blessed Christmas and may we all see our freedoms restored in the coming New Year.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Larry, we are glad you found us - thank you for your service and as you know, NCWW is the place to come to see, learn and talk about woodworking. You already know that there is a LOT of knowledge in this group and always a helping hand if you need one.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS