"New Update W-Pics" Project-- Bailey Cherry Totes and Knobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Hello Friends! I am finally back from Iraq (back to Germany with my family that is) and have started the process of making new Totes and Knobs for my Bailey collection for my #3,#4,#5.#6, and #7. I posted earlier about my "Deployment Gift" purchase http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33154 that included new Hock Blades. I was able to print out LeeValley's Tote diagram and successfully rough new Totes for my entire Bailey collection. Tomorrow I will turn the front Knobs and hopefully pull out the rasps and shape the Totes. I am going to concentrate on one plane at a time though and go off of feel while I shape them. I will keep you updated on the progress. Have a blessed day friends.

Here is a picture of my youngest "Playing" with the future Totes and Knobs, he thought he would build a house.
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g352/Michael_Garner/SDC10184.jpg

I put them back on the planes while I was at the Arts and Crafts center on post to make sure that they fit the planes and thought to snap a couple pictures of them after I got home to show the progress.
Pic #1
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g352/Michael_Garner/SDC10184.jpg
Pic #2
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g352/Michael_Garner/SDC10194.jpg
Pic #3
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g352/Michael_Garner/SDC10193.jpg
Pic #4
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g352/Michael_Garner/SDC10191.jpg

Sorry I don't know how to add the images from Photo Bucket!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Re: Project-- Bailey Cherry Totes and Knobs

Michael, so glad to hear you're out of Iraq and back w/ your family. Congratulations! W/ the Hock blades and the new custom made totes and knobs, those planes will make some sweet music when you use them. Enjoy! :eusa_danc

Bill

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Congratulation on your safe return. Thanks for your service.

Glad to see you back in the saw dust business.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael

Thanks for the comments. I will be making the knobs today, I will post pictures when I get them done.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

Michael, if by any chance you have access to back issues of Fine Woodworking magazines, there is an article on making handles for old tools by Christian Becksvoort. It is in issue 105 on p. 41. Just FYI.

Bill

michaelgarner

New User
Michael

Bill-- Thanks for the heads up I actually have the FWW achrive...looking at the article now.

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Looking great so far.

That's some very pretty stock. I bet the finished product will look very cool!

Chuck

jhreed

New User
james

Tell the handsome young man that I really like his house. I hope he keeps up the good work. It must be a thrill for him to have you back and to let him build his house.

Thanks for your sacrifice, it means a lot to me. May God bless you and your family.

James

michaelgarner

New User
Michael

Thanks. I was able to finish a front knob, and shape the real handle of one of the planes. Its turning out rather well. My "little builder" became my shadow the day I arrived back, hes such a good boy.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Number Five plane is alive!

I was finally able to get the first hand plane done. Made a new knob and tote, polished up the brass, and put on a new finish. Have a blessed day my friends.

SDC10219.JPG

View image in gallery

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
Very nice - I plan on making some patterns of the LV tote templates. Picked up their new variable width double roundover pattern bit (or whatever) that let's you rout the totes off a full size template and rounds the sides. Then pretty much tune/shape as desired. I'm probably going to start out with cherry and hope to graduate to some exotics down the road.

Don't recall off the top of my head from your earlier threads, but how did you go about drilling the holes in the totes? I was going to get an angle vise but would have to use my dad's drill press until I can procure one.

Keep up the good work and welcome back!

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Welcome back Michael, great progress on the planes!

I'm not sure what brings a bigger smile to my face; you are back safe from Iraq and woodworking or a picture of a son overflowing with joy to be spending time with his dad. Thanks for your service and for brightening my day. Jim

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The first one looks great Michael. :icon_thum How does it feel in your hands? I'll bet it's a pleasure to use.

Bill

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Fine looking work there, Michael!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Planes look restored to new and pristine condition.

Well Done !!!

Wayne

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Don't recall off the top of my head from your earlier threads, but how did you go about drilling the holes in the totes? I was going to get an angle vise but would have to use my dad's drill press until I can procure one.

Keep up the good work and welcome back!

I actually used the Lee Valley template and cut the part at the top of template which made a medge the perfect angle to put under the block to make it perfectly vertical to drill the nut hole, and then all the way through.

Welcome back Michael, great progress on the planes!

I'm not sure what brings a bigger smile to my face; you are back safe from Iraq and woodworking or a picture of a son overflowing with joy to be spending time with his dad. Thanks for your service and for brightening my day. Jim

My little bear loves being his Dads shadow, no matter what I am doing. I guess I better fix a couple of hand planes for him lol.

The first one looks great Michael. :icon_thum How does it feel in your hands? I'll bet it's a pleasure to use.

Bill

They feel smooth as a baby's !!!!!! I cant believe how different the feel and use of a plane that is fixed up with new handles, polished up and new blade make it perform.

Fine looking work there, Michael!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Planes look restored to new and pristine condition.

Well Done !!!

Wayne

Thanks friend, I cant wait to get the rest done.

Nice Work. Really well done:icon_thum.

Thanks TracyP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS