NEW trick for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I learned something new today I thought I would pass on.

While making electronics cover out of 3/16 thick maple for the bass I'm building I had to fit the cover to the odd shape rabbit I routed out. Kind of a triangle with a big radius on the long side and like 1" radius on the corners. Instead of using a chisel to try and make 90 degree corners I hand cut the cover. Then I sanded the edges so it fit snug and screwed it in place. it looked like dog dung as you could imagine, making the cover free hand...

But I discover the back side of a Stanley razor blade (not the cutting side) makes for a great .025 (1/40th inch) micro planer.

00002893.jpg

Of course you want to dull the razor edge of the blade before you try it so you don't cut yourself all up. After the razor side is dull, simply turn the razor blade around and insert into the space between the body and cover and gently pull it around the slit. After about 10 times around I made it all the way to the bottom of the rabbit and had a nice even .025" gap between the cover and body.

Worked like a champ even on the radius corners, every dog has his day and I guess today was mine :)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
:thumbs_up
Hacksaw blades are usually 0.020 of you wanna go smaller. :wink_smil

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
When iI was scroling alot I would use wall paper scraper blades also paint scraper blades work wonderfully.

Thanks Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS