New Toys! (Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejones

New User
Dave
I spent last Saturday afternoon at the Liberty Antiques Festival, and was able to pick up some new (to me) toys while I was there. I am not sure if these are worth anything, but I thought they were cool. Maybe the experts here will know more about them than I do.....

This Bailey #5 will be a user once I clean it up.

Bailey_No_5.jpg

View image in gallery

I am even thinking about using the wooden planes (I'll let the experts [STRIKE]slap me[/STRIKE] chime in if these shouldn't be used for any reason).

The first one has a maker's mark of "John Bell, Philad." The guy I bought it from claimed it would have been somewhere in the 1829 to 1851 range, based on the maker. I have not researched this to confirm. It is also marked with "W. A. Unger", which I assume would have been the owner, and "7/8" which looks like the diameter of the cutter.

The last one is a beading plane. The only marking is "No 123".

Dave

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Hey Dave, congrats on some nice finds. As for the wooden molding planes, there's no reason not to use them once you get the irons sharpened. It's often quicker to use a plane on a small job than it is to set up a router.

The #5 looks to be in fairly good shape, except for some light rust. Once you get it cleaned up, I'd love to see some more pics. On "user" tools like this (as opposed to "collector" tools) I often clean up light rust w/ a soft brass wire wheel on a grinder. I know, purest will scream blasphemy and condemn me to spend eternity in a tool asylum, but what can I say: I'm lazy and it works. :gar-La;

Bill

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I often clean up light rust w/ a soft brass wire wheel on a grinder. I know, purest will scream blasphemy and condemn me to spend eternity in a tool asylum, but what can I say: I'm lazy and it works. :gar-La;

Bill

So you will be in the wire wheel room, huh? I will be just down the hall in the Naval Jelly suite. :)

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Does Naval Jelly go good w/ peanut butter? :rotflm: Oops, I may already be in the asylum.

Lest I confuse anyone (in which case their next jelly doughnut would be their last :elvis: ), I should explain it for those who don't have experience with it. Naval jelly is a noxious mix of chemicals that will remove rust pretty quickly and easily but the surface it leaves behind is anything but shiny. Even the parts that were shiny aren't anymore. It becomes a uniform drab. Polishing it back to shiny is a bigger job than polishing away the rust would have been, so you only use it if you want the rust gone and don't care about it being shiny.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
To clean up a rusty user plane like that, I like to use a sponge-like (much tougher though) disc on the WorkSharp and smaller ones on the Dremel tool for the detail work. The Dremel disks get very small very quickly though. Would like to find some that are a little larger than the Dremel cleaning disks that fit a regular drill.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
The new toys look NICE. I'm [STRIKE]a little[/STRIKE] jealous! I will get some pictures posted (real soon) of some of my toys and get advice from you experts.

I have also used a (brass) wire wheel, naval jelly (ugh!), and now swear by Evapo Rust. Evapo rust seems to be gentler to the tool, safe on my hands, costs $20 a gallon at Tractor Supply, but still leaves a darker metal. A little 3M pad and some elbow grease fixes that though.

Still, I would love to have a nice wooden plane like the second one in the message.

davejones

New User
Dave
So, are you making progress on the Stanley plane?

Got pics?

I wish! I haven't set foot in the shop for quite a while. Been a little too busy to do much of anything. I have some time off in a couple weeks, so maybe I will squeeze in some shop time then if I can get through the honey-do list.:dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors