New to wood working

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
Hello,

So I am very new to woodworker and I am trying to get a good knowledge base. I live in eastern NC and have noticed the vendors link at the top of this website. However, nobody around me sells hardwood plywood aside from the Big Box stores, and I want something unique.

Eastern NC woodworkers (I live on Onslow county, on the border of Zone 4 and 5), where do you get your plywood? Where do you get your solid wood stock?

Have any of you every bought wood online and had it delivered? How successful was it?

Any help is much appreciated.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Alex. There are a lot of members here from your part of the state, so you should get some answers to your questions pretty soon. I live just south of Greensboro, so The Hardwood Store (see the link on the right side of this page) in Gibsonville is the best place for me.

If you don't find anything closer, you might hook up w/ someone else and make a group run to their store. But there are probably other options closer to home.

Bill

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
Yeah, I have heard about the store in Gibsonville. I went to school at Elon and live in Gibsonville for a year. I wish I had heard about that store sooner. Anyway, my brother lives in Greensboro, so maybe I can make a visit to the family and the store. We will see.

lbtripp

New User
Lyell
Alex,

Welcome aboard. Lumber sources in my area (Ocean Isle Beach) are few and far between, so I buy dimensional hardwood on line quite often. I find that I don't like making a huge pile of wood chips by planing rough cut lumber. I also don't like to waste the time (time is money they say). But then I am not doing it just as a hobby.

The sources I use usually ship within 2-3 days after I place my order and I receive them 3-4 days after shipping. The material I receive is surfaced two sides, kiln dryed and straight edged one edge. The thickness is usually 1/16" over sized (e.g. 4/4 is 13/16"). The grade is close to clear, very few knots. I probably loose less than 5-6%. I run the material through the belt sander to get it to final thickness.

Any amount can be ordered from 5 bf and up. The small orders 1-100 bf ships via UPS. Larger orders can be shipped by freight carriers.

Of course this method costs more than buying rough cut and drying and planing it yourself. I pass the cost on to my customers.

Hope this answers your question about buying on line.:eusa_thin

Lyell

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl
Hello,

So I am very new to woodworker and I am trying to get a good knowledge base. I live in eastern NC and have noticed the vendors link at the top of this website. However, nobody around me sells hardwood plywood aside from the Big Box stores, and I want something unique.

Eastern NC woodworkers (I live on Onslow county, on the border of Zone 4 and 5), where do you get your plywood? Where do you get your solid wood stock?

Have any of you every bought wood online and had it delivered? How successful was it?

Any help is much appreciated.

Hi Alex,

The Hardwood Store of NC, Inc. sells plywood and solid stock lumber. We can ship and do have delivery to Eastern NC by special arrangement. I've even been know to deliver to coastal locations myself! Emerald Isle has a woodworking group that meets once a month. They are a nice group of people and you would probably enjoy meeting them. You can contact the recreation department there for more information.

www.hardwoodstore.com

Cheryl

skeeter

New User
Charles
Hello Alex and welcome to the site. Not sure how far you want to drive, but Anchor Hardwoods in Wilmington carries exotic hardwoods and some plywood like Cherry and Mahogany. I have been told that they just sold out and I haven't been in the store since it happened so I'd call before making that drive. Here is the link . . http://anchorhardwoods.com/ Also Wall Lumber ships pretty quickly.

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
Christopher,

I do not have access to camp lejeune as I am not military. Neither is anyone else in my family. Is there something I should know about camp lejeune? Your work look great though.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Howdy there Alex.I am just NE of you in Carteret County.I have picked up some wood at Atlantic Veneer in Beaufort before.They have a outlet store.

Tony

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
Do they sell plywood, or just veneers? As I said they may be the same thing, but from what I know a veneer is a very thing piece of stock that has a finished look.

sailortom

New User
Tom
Hello Alex and welcome to the site. Not sure how far you want to drive, but Anchor Hardwoods in Wilmington carries exotic hardwoods and some plywood like Cherry and Mahogany. I have been told that they just sold out and I haven't been in the store since it happened so I'd call before making that drive. Here is the link . . http://anchorhardwoods.com/ Also Wall Lumber ships pretty quickly.
I have bought from Anchor in the past. They are good to deal with. They even let me bring back a glued up panel and planed it to thickness for me for no charge.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Christopher,

I do not have access to camp lejeune as I am not military. Neither is anyone else in my family. Is there something I should know about camp lejeune? Your work look great though.

Thanks man! Camp Lejeune gets their domestic wood (they don't sell exotics) from these guys:

http://www.worldtimbercorp.com/MainPage.htm

They have a bunch of good stuff, domestic and exotics. I have never shopped there (I order most of my wood), but from what I hear, they are good people.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Do they sell plywood, or just veneers? As I said they may be the same thing, but from what I know a veneer is a very thing piece of stock that has a finished look.

AV had lumber and plywood the last time I was there(couple years ago).Domestic and exotic.

Tony

kernnal

New User
Eric
Hey Alex,

I in New Bern and am running into the same problems concerning wood selection in Eastern NC.

From the great people of this site and others I have talked to in the area, Atlantic Veneer and World Timber Corp are our only choices (other than BORGS) in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS