new to veneering

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Next project is to replace the dashboard veneer in Triumph. As the panels are curved, I guess that means vacuum. Any advice on what equipment I should be looking for? When I did my MG, it was flat and I tried to just use a few bricks and it was a disaster.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I built the Electric Vacuum System (EVS) System described in detail in Part 2 of the Joe Woodworker.com site that starts just below the intro in the link above. There is a good picture of it at the bottom of the page. A good system and I've used it for several projects.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
If it was just flatt stuff, I woudl be tempted to try my 20 ton press. Glove box door is curved. Watched some videos.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Don't think I need a "controlled" high volume pump. Only a few small projects for now. Looking at one from Horrible Freight. Only question is if they can tolerate running for an hour. They should. $90. I can cut a platten quite easily and have plenty of thick screening. So, connections, hoses and how to attach to a bag is the question. I guess glue on the bag but have to get some fittings and vacuum hose. Not cheap but nothing about restoring old British cars is cheap. Did not know about thickened pva glue. First piece if flat, so might just use my press to learn some of the problems. My first attempt in my MG was not flat enough. Might re-do them before I tackle the Stag.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
My experience is the HF unit will die in the middle of your project. Not worth a darn. The unit that frugalvacuumchuck.com sells is a good one and he has parts and good service. For the vacuum bag material and fittings go to uscomposites.com.
Vacuum bagging is a workshop I want to host but first we need to get out from under this coronavirus

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Good to know. Guess I'll look used. fugal is out of stock. As I dig into all the electrical issues in my car, turns out I have to pull it all apart anyway, so that actually moves the project forward s I hate to put things together twice. I am wondering if vacuum is maybe a tool I can use on recovering the dashboard vinyl. One piece is curved plywood that I will have to duplicate. The other pieces are flat wood, just machined with one curved surface.

BSevier

New User
Bryan
take a look at this - I know of several youtubers and a few personal friends who went this direction and are quite happy. $70 for their smaller bag and pump kit. very reasonable. these originally came out to make skateboards, but they now have several sizes avail and very useful for woodworking. they should be able to do some bent lams - after all, that is what a skateboard is.

here's a video of Tom McLaughlin using the same product. Fast forward to the 30 min mark.

UncleJoe

Joe
Senior User
Sounds like a great project. When I was 15 my dad and I bought a 1953 MGTD and one of the things we did was replace the dash with a solid walnut piece. It was flat yours looks more interesting. I have a lot of great memories working on that car with my dad.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
My dash is about like a skateboard. I think I'll give it a try. So much to learn, don't want to spend the bank right off. Hard to imagine you an get 20 inches out of it, but it is what is claimed.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The hand pump in the skateboard bag. No sweat for a HVAC pump.
THinking though, if I go to a long setup time epoxy, I might want the electric pump.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS